System unstable problem

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by trustnoone737, Oct 21, 2009.

1. trustnoone737

trustnoone737 Geek Trainee

Hello guys im new to this forum.Im experiencing unstability with my new PC config.Here are my specs:

-AMD phenom x4 955 (be)
    -ASUS m4n78 amd2+(compatible with am3 etc etc)
    -Kingston hyper-x 800mhz 2x2gb
    -xfx geforce 9500 gt 1gd ddr2
    -hard drive 250 IDE(yes i did buy a new one yet-maybe next week or something)
    -PSU 500 w
    -Windows 7 64bit
    -drivers-bios up to date

My problem's:

1)The first one has to do with the CPU temperature
    -Bios and iprobe(di asus) shows that my processor's temp are at 62 Celcius at idle.I asked many friends-tecnicians-forums and they advised me to use other programs like "Cpu temp"-"pc wizard"-"speed fan"
    All of those programms show my cpu's temp at normal levels(32celcius @idle,41-2 full load)All told me to trust anything than bios measures..What's your opinion?

2)The main problem is that my PC is very unstable:
    Specifally my pc often freezes.I oserved that freezes when using:
    -torrent software
    -World of warcraft
    -Pc wizard when trying to make "stress test" in "HIGH" mode

When i say freezing i mean first desktop freezes and then mouse-->i reset and all seems good

-------
    I need your advice for what might be the part(hardware) that causes my pc to freeze or if it's a software program.

Special thanks to everyone..Ciaoooo

2. trustnoone737

trustnoone737 Geek Trainee

OK got some changes:

-WD green caviar 500 gb
    -And a new PSU(thermaltake butterfly 480w)
    -new cpu fan(artic cool with 4x2 pipes)
    -Asus released a new bios update for windows 7 64 bit
    -Changed my rams voltage to 1.85 as the kingston support suggested me

My pc runs smoother. But still may freeze some times..
    :chk:

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

1. Have you tried running Memtest86+ overnight?
    2. Have you sniffed around the mobo for bad caps?

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

could be a power supply going bad, Is this PC overclocked ? Check your ram, or try removing and reinstalling to reseat them.

5. Evil Inc

Evil Inc Guest

I had problem with my pc after installing windows 7 x64

Machine just restarted itself without warning i put it down to the psu but since i reinstalled it without adding specific drivers for my motherboard it hasnt happened and is alot more stable have you installed additional drivers that windows was already supporting?

Mainly i would be sure that the drivers you use are certified for 64bit windows 7 platform or uninstall them if the built in drivers supported it the device.

Also

try a chkdsk /r

Hope this helps

6. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

have you ran prime95 for stability issues? sometimes the case where the cpu needs a little more power. can be caused by overclocking without upping the vcore, cpu pll and vtt and gtlref and northbridge voltages. also sometimes dodgy caps also mosfet voltage regulators.
    you can run prime95 just for cpu and also ram, first of all just run the tests for cpu which is small fft's also hammers your cpu memory cache as well. then move on to a large fft's and then blend which will test cpu and memory.

7. edijs

edijs Programmer

I second all those that advice to run a RAM test. Do it. I've had experience with computers having random freezing and RAM was the cause.

8. Marzy

Marzy Geek Trainee

Hi guys, I have similar problem, but I guess I know where the problem is just can't fixt it.

I have this system:

MSI K9N SLI Platinum - nForce 570 SLI Motherboard
    AMD Athlon X2 5000+
    4GB Ram
    Geforce 8800 GTS
    320GB SATA HDD
    Running on Windows 7 Ultimate x86

Everything was fine until I installed Sata CD/DVD-Rom

Since then my computer keeps freezing randomly. I was reading about it online and found that it might be issue with SATA drivers. But seems that I have them installed already. I tried updating motherboard drivers, where I saw Sata, Raid controllers were installed.

If anyone knows what exactly might be wrong here and how to fix it, please let me know.

Thanks

[​IMG]

9. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

1. What's the make and model of your PSU? If in doubt, post a picture of the PSU's sticker.
    2. Have you tried running Memtest86+ on your machine overnight? Any errors?
    3. Did you thoroughly check the motherboard for bad capacitors?
    4. Have you tried disconnecting the new burner, moving it to a different SATA port, etc.?
    5. Is your motherboard flashed with the latest version of its BIOS firmware?

10. Marzy

Marzy Geek Trainee

My PSU is Nitrox, it's 650W wattage is not a problem I guess.

I will try and run memory test tonight..

I bought floppy on ebay yesterday so still waiting for it and I'll flash newest bios.

Is there anything else to do with SATA? Yes without ROM it works fine..

Actually first time when I connected there were problems but it fixed somehow it self. Computer was not loading and couldn't find my HDD. But now only problem is random freezing.

Thanks 4 help!

11. Marzy

Marzy Geek Trainee

Problem still persist, I've done memory check, 10 runs, it was running all night, no errors, so RAM's are OK. I've reinstalled windows, tried X86 and X64 Windows 7, problem is the same, tried disconnecting DVD-ROM, swapped SATA channels a few times.

Event logger seems to be useless, any other opinions how could I find a solution to this. For 2 weeks I can't diagnose what is going on with my system.

Worst thing I am using it for business and I need to do all the backups every few hours.

Any other hardware test programs that I could run to check for errors?

Thanks!