systeminfo in xp pro

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by Sniper, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

recently I had to use "chkdsk /f" in DOS-MODE to fix a problem, which caused Win XP not to load-up at all on startup...

but now in DOS (Command Prompt), when ever I type/run 'systeminfo' I get a 'ERROR: Generic failure' its suppose to display system information, like computer name etc

anyone know what could be causing this? I have XP Pro !

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Try this: Boot off the XP disc like you would to install it, but when you get to the install screen, choose the recovery console option.
    In the RC, select the install you want to work with and type "fixboot" no quotes.

The other option is to go through with the install option like you would but when you come to the screen asking you if you'd like to start from scratch or just repair it, choose to repair it. It'll go pretty much like the full install, so you'll have to re-enter your keycode.

3. Sniper

I tried 'Fixboot' no luck, I will try the other method later on and let you know how it goes :)

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

Sniper have you tried hitting F8 at boot and trying to restore XP to the last working config?

If you haven't I'd try that before trying a repair since it shouldn't require you to input your serial # and be forced to activate again, and should hopefully be able to accomplish what a repair would do.

5. Sniper

thats one of the first things I tried but it didn't solve the litttle problem :(

6. Black Bart

Black Bart Geek Trainee

Repair the system files

You can try to use the "last known good configuration" by pressing F8 during start up if that doesn't work try uninstalling any new software or drivers that you installed, or just boot from the XP cd and repair the installation files at the blue screen. It will bring up the basic instructions, but I think that you may already know that.:stupid:

7. Sniper

Its seems to work, after the repair :) thanks for the suggestions...