Taking apart HP cases

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by loaded_chambers, Mar 14, 2004.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I'm trying to swap out the components from my old Hewlett Packard 8565C into another case but I can't figure out how to take out the drive racks. These things are built like tanks. Does anyone know of any places that show how to take apart these damned things? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Ugh. HP cases, when I worked on one last, I had to take off both side panels and the front. I also had to take off the top piece as well to unhook the thing. I don't remember the exact number I worked on, but it took forever.

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

all i can say is. good luck buddy, HP is teh tank!
    (take out screws you find on the case, any screw just take it all apart ;) )

4. loaded_chambers

Heh...I knew I couldn't have been the only one that has had problems taking these things apart. Guess I'll just have to mutilate it tomorrow. It's hideous anyways.

5. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

OK, HP Pavillions happen to have very annoying architecture, but once you know how to crack 'em it's a bit less frustrating. I've refirbished quite a few of these 'lil devils, so I guess I could walk you through it... however, I think it's probably easier to point you here instead.

6. loaded_chambers

Thanks, thats exactly what I was lookin for. I knew there had to be something out there to describe the process. Kinda sucks though, I was lookin forward to obliterating it

7. Anti-Trend

Well, I suppose nothing's really stopping you except for the fact that you may destroy some of the parts you're trying to salvage in the process. :sick: You could always destroy that abhorred chassis after you pull the parts though! Kick it once for me, won't you?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I have one thing against HP cases: it took me---no joke---3 hours to get to, transfer, and reassemble 2 identical HP systems just to get one---yes ONE--stick of RAM into a new system. I opened up the defective rig first since it was being sent back.

9. Anti-Trend

The first time I had to pull apart a Pavillion chassis, I had already woked on dozens of HP Vectra (business-class) machines. When I had someone hire me to work on their HP Pavillion I thought, "How hard could it possibly be?" It took me about 20 minutes to get the thing completely apart. Unfortunately, the whole process unfolded right in front of the client who was watching intently. Man, that felt like the longest 20 minutes ever. :(

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Pavillions=Evil.

11. Anti-Trend

Very evil! Many times they don't even have fans on the CPU, and they NEVER have them on the HDDs! They use one fan with a heat vent to cool the whole filthy thing. Bleh!