Task International?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by megamaced, Sep 24, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I am a bit worried about the quality of a second hand PSU I bought off eBay a few days ago. Basically it's a 230W (I know watts mean jack..) Task International PSU which I bought to power my IPCop server. The server is only running a P3 and a few network cards. However the server will be running 27/4 so that's why I am a little concerned. The PSU looks like one of those cheap 'n' nasty ones that come free with a cheapo computer case. It's quite lightweight and after a few hours of being on, the PSU fan has started rattling! :O

I can't remember what the amps are on the rails but I will look tomorrow. Basically what I wanted to ask is are Task International any good and what amperages should I be looking at for a p3?

EDIT: Well I've found their website at least!

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've never heard of the brand, so I can't comment.

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

you could replace the rattling fan, if PSU has a decent output, not that it will help but you don't happen to know what case it came out of, PSU should have output ratings on it[ot]like you didn't know that, LOL[/ot]

4. megamaced

Here are the amps on the rails:

+5v = 23A
    +3.3v = 14A
    -5v = 0.5A
    -12v = 0.5A
    +12v = 9A

Considering that it's powering a P3, are these good or bad amperages?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

that is not a good PSU, 5 & 12 + should be up at around 28A - 30A (separatly)

BTW try zeus's PSU calculator

it may be quite capable of powering that hardware

[ot]thanks for pretending you didn't know[/ot]

6. megamaced

Well I can tell you now that Task International are a crap brand.

I went to inspect the IPCop server earlier today and noticed that the PSU fan wasn't spinning! :eek: I immediately shut down the computer and felt to see how warm the PSU was. It wasn't too hot so I guess the fan had cut out quite recently.

The fan didn't start when I turned the computer back on. Instead, it just kept 'stuttering' like it was jammed. So I got a small knife and pushed one of the blades upward to give it a helping hand :rolleyes: The fan started spinning properly after that!

Anyway, I can't leave it running with the knowledge that the fan could stop again. Even when the fan does work, I can hear it slowing down and speeding up again - like it's on it's last legs. I don't trust that PSU as far as I can throw it. I am going to have to buy a replacement immediately.