task manager - need information, pretty please

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by gardengirl, Dec 16, 2006.

1. gardengirl

gardengirl Geek Trainee

Sorry - I know this question comes uo pretty regularly (as do most software probs!!!) but this is a list of what's on my task manager. Would you tell me which are the essentials and which aren't? I've numbered them to make it easier!! Thanks a million!

1. taskmge.exe
    2. IEXPLORE.EXE
    3. ALG.EXE
    4. SVCHOST.EXE
    5. AVGUPSVC.EXE
    6. AVGAMSVR.EXE
    7. MMDiag.exe
    8. SISTRAY.EXE
    9. CTFMON.EXE
    10. GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    11. realsched.exe
    12. SPRTMD.EXE
    13. DRAGDIAG.EXE
    14. AVGCC.EXE
    15. QtzGaCEREXE
    16. RUNDLL32.EXE
    17. PDVDServ.exe
    18. SynTPEnh.exe
    19. SynTPLpr.exe
    20. SOUNDMAN.EXE
    21. Keyhook.exe
    22. MIM.EXE
    23. Monitor.exe
    24. nbmServe.exe
    25. EXPLORER.EXE
    26. SPOOLS.EXE
    27. SVCHOST.EXE - LOCAL SERVICE
    28. SVCHOST.EXE - NETWORK SERVICE
    29. SVCHOST.EXE - SYSTEM
    30. SVCHOST.EXE - NETWORK SERVICE
    31. SVCHOST.EXE - SYSTEM
    32. LSASS.EXE
    33. SERVICES.EXE
    34. WINLOGON.EXE
    35. CSRSS.EXE
    36. SMSS.EXE
    37. WDFMGR.EXE
    38. System
    39. System Idle Process

2. zeus

zeus out of date

What operating system are you using?

If its windows xp click on the username tab to sort the names into groups.

Everything with your windows login name is something you are running. Everything else is stuff windows is loading up itself.

You can cut back on the things "you" are running by typing msconfig into "run" under the start menu.

There will be a tab called "startup" Everything with a tick next to it will automatically run when windows boots up. Things are usually run upon startup so they open almost instantly when you actually come to use the program. You probably save a second or so by having them in your startup list but they slow your boot time. I personally uncheck everything except my firewall.

Next to the startup tab is the services tab. These are things windows startup when you turn your computer on which make it a fully functional system. For instance you might not be able to get windows to connect to a network if you dont have the services which support networking. When you asked which of the things in the task manager are essential I suppose you were really asking which services can I disable.
    Its something you'll have to work out for yourself.

You can disable the windows services in this box but its not the bets way to do it. What you can do is check the "hide windows services" box at the bottom and un/check what remains. They will be programs you have installed. Again I leave my firewally and email scanner checked here.

To choose which services you want to use and which you dont theres a page donkey posted a link to last week which is really good.
    Services Guide for Windows XP

You'll have to work your way through the list deciding which you think are most important to you.

3. gardengirl

gardengirl Geek Trainee

Well, now - that was silly of me :doh: ! Quite forgot to give that info! Though, thanks for the reply. I'll work my way through it. Just didn't want to untick anything vital, y'know! (Which is the prob when folk like me start fiddling with the works and end up with a dead pc!!)

Actually, it's XP on my laptop which I only just recently acquired. I'm trying to process a lot of scanned articles for a website and it's going so slow you wouldn't believe! And every so often it just shuts down in protest. I know these images consume a lot of ram but - :x: !! P'raps I should stick to gardening!!

Thanks anyway!

4. zeus

zeus out of date

If it all goes belly up press F8 as soon as you hear the beep when you forst turn your pc on. It will get you into safe mode. From here you should be able to recheck the boxes you unchecked.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

or press and hold down CTRL when you turn on the power or press at the same time as zeus suggested pressing F8[ot]some mobo manufactures may use F8 to enter the BIOS[/ot]

6. gardengirl

gardengirl Geek Trainee

Thanks all!