Temperature vs Noise

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by D0c1021, Apr 3, 2003.

1. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Hey guys,what's the view on the ideal temperature for a PC running an Athlon XP chip and a high end video card?
    ( ... say nVidia or ATI..Also taking in consideration the Casing ,Fans and internal cable/wire setup)

Also any suggestions on how to achieve this ideal temperature with a minimum amount of noise?

Cuz for me ..my current PC average temp is 61 deg Cel with 7 Fans and it sounds like a Jet engine... :-S

2. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

THATS HORRIBLE!

You need a new heatsink and fan. Your going to need to spend 30$-50$ on somethign REALLY good to keep those temperatures down. Those are dangers, mines overlcocked a shitload, and they are at 47. Thats scary.

If you want more info on good heatsinks, i'm selling an AMAZING one for 25$, its rated second best at cooling. Only prob its got a tornado fan on top, but its worht it, full load, 37 degrees.

You need at least 3 case fans. Why 3? Think of it like this.

Your powersupply is taking air out of your case. Theres one out (two if you have dual like me), then you need anotherone taking out, and you need two coming in. Thats how my setupp is but with more fans.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

61*C :eek: Ummm, look at your CPU cooling, because that's mighty hot for an XP2200. Make sure you're voltage is set to the default or 1.65V if you do it manually. Check that the heatsink is properly installed and that you've only put a thin coat of thermal paste on the CPU core (just the small rectangle in the center). If that's not helping much, I'd strongly advise checking out another heatsink. Something like the ThermalRight SK7 isn't that pricey (about $25+ shipping and an 80mm fan of your choice), would help.
    Also, make sure your airflow is good. If all fans are sucking in air, you've got a problem getting the hot air out.

4. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Specs

Heatsink/Fan: Thermaltake Volcano 9
    Thermal Paste: Artic Silver
    Case: ThermalTake Xaser 6000B
    Power Supply: Enermax EG465P-VE FCA 430

I slightly overclocked the Chip to 1.80Mhz to 1.82Mhz

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm...That's okay, but something isn't right. Did you up the CPU voltage (Vcore) up past the default at all? That's not the greatest cooler setup, but it's pretty decent. If your fans are setup right, it'll do a solid job on cooling...

Y'know, I just remembered about the fan on the Volcano 7...it's self adjusting to the temps. I bet if you put a standard 80mm fan w/o the temp controller on it, you'd get some better cooling. I did that with a blue LED fan and the temps are in the high 30's with a T-Bird 1.4 @ 1.75V (one of the hottest running CPU's still). You'd probably be in the mid-40s or so, but the fan switch might be a good idea.

The other thing is that you only need a thin coat of AS on there, like paper thin. If you had a lot on there, that's one problem.

6. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Thermaltake Volcano 9

Hrmmm...well my volcano 9 does not have the temp sensor installed .As a matter of fact neither do i have the copper shim.I think i did a decent job in putting the AS on the chip.I used a credit card to spread a paste thinnly on the chip surface

As it stands .. there is only the paste and the Heatsink on the chip.
    I am really apprehensive about going in an troubling the chip after my history with that pc ..but i'll check it out

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wait, I screwed up on the Volcano's. The 9 has the adjustable fan speed. At the lowest setting, it sucks, but if you crank it up, you might get some better cooling...

8. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Well the thermaltake case has the adjusting switch in front of the case, so i adjust it there.However even at the highest fan setting (5000+ rpm) my temp is still above 50 * C.... sigh.Any advice ??

9. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

There's gotta be something wrong.
    I'd take off the hs/f, clean the cpu, put the grease back on, and the hs/f.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I agree. Doing that will eliminate one potential issue.
    I don't know what your CPU voltage is, but I would check that as well. It shouldn't be higher than 1.75V, especially since you're doing a very small overclock. The default voltage should be fine. You'll need to access the advanced options menu in BIOS to check that out. FYI, to do this you have to hit [Ctrl]+F1 if I've got my info correct.

11. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

No doubt harrack52!
    I'll Problably dive into my pc on the weekend.Hopefully i can get the temp down to atleast 37-40 * C...possible? :-D

Hopefully i can have a cooler CPU when running UT2003 ...??:-D

BigB : -my voltage is currently 1.65V.. i defaulted everything last night and reset the CPU clock setting ..

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, you can leave it at that voltage and be fine.
    I don't know how you've got your fans setup, but the usual airflow pattern is having the stuff sucked in at the front--fans are usually at the bottom---and then have a fan (at least the PSU fan) sucking air out the back. People also have one around the PCI cards, which you probably have guessing by the number of fans ya have. ;) If it's flowing in pretty much the same direction, then you're good.

Keep us posted!

13. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Fan Setup

Hey well ....my fan setup is pretty much standard to this type of case.As i gather that this thermaltake case is based from the chieftech design.So i have two input fans at front and two output fans at back.Plus a sidepanel input fan.
    The PSU is a dual fan unit with the input fan facing the CPU and Heatsink and the output facing the back.

So .. .lets see that makes the air flow... in through the front bottom and ...out through the back top......

Check out case cooling on this site

www.heatsink-guide.com

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay. You should have pretty good airflow then. I know since I've got the generic version of the case :chk:

Any updates on the cooling?

15. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Update

Well ... i took off the heatsink and fan and reapplied the thermal paste.. this time i used my finger and applied a thin layer...also i applied a thinner layer to my Heatsink surface....
    now i'm running at CPU temp 44*C and system temperature 40*C
    hows that for improvement...:)

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Now we're talking.

17. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Thanks .. even after a long session of UT2003 i only notice a 2* increase in temp :-D

My next project is to cut the noise that my computer provides generously [\b] to my whole house ...without loosing cooling