temperture probe question

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jecht, Dec 10, 2004.

1. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

this fan/temp/volume controller is very nice looking, and i think i might buy it along with a more dedicated fan controller. As for the temperture display, i would like to know how that works. here is the device :

http://www.crazypc.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=120199&Product_Code=82890

how do you place these: (also displayed with device features and contents)

Temperature display with thin-style thermal probe

where does it go? anywhere or what , this will be my first time installing something with a temperature readout. thx

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I don't use any myself, but it sounds like the probe is meant to go right next to the CPU die so as to get as close to the CPU as possible. Now, don't go ripping off your P4's heatspreader, but you don't want to go on and sandwich it between the CPU and the heatsink. It won't do you any good. You'll have to attach it to the side of the CPU heatspreader with something like epoxy. I'm not sure what other people use, but you might browse around the forums @ [H]ard|OCP or Overclockers.com.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

My old Antec P160 case had these exact same temperature probes in, BigB is certainly right you do not want to sandwiche these inbetween the CPU and HSF, i have to say that unless placed correctly ie, as close as you can to the heat source you want it to measure it's not going to be very accurate, and even so if your temp probe isnt sandwidged between CPU and HSF.. How can it be accurate?

+ the temperature probes will make the system untidty and slightly obstruct airflow, and possibly create more noise. Ideally you want a System Control Fan that will measure the temperatures straight from the motherboards temparature calibrations.

4. Jecht

Jecht Big Geek

are there any that you guys would recommend? my pc is going to be loud probably, so id want a nice looking, hard working controller, that you guys know much about, and would use in your system or already using. thx bunches. i am going to be firing it up for the first time tonight, with all your guys help much appreciated, i certainly hope i dont run into any major problems.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Quite honestly, if you don't have to have an extra temp probe, you can just use some software like Motherboard Monitor. This way, you can see the temp right from your desktop...among other things. Asus also has their Asus Probe software, but I find that it tends to be far too sensitive.