Terrible Pings and IPV6 vs IPV4

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by SirDeity, Feb 1, 2010.

1. SirDeity

SirDeity Big Geek

I know it's been years since my last post so let me just start by saying, hello everyone!!! I recently built a new PC. I love it! (Check it out here: Yfrog - misc004).

Anyway, I use this computer primarily for work but I also enjoy a good game now and then. My favorite game of all is Left 4 Dead. It's a competitive FPS game with a huge emphasis on team coordination. My problem, however, is that my pings are always ridiculously high!

I have high speed cable internet by Time Warner with turbo boost which is advertised as 15 megabytes per second standard. I clocked my upload via a free online speed test at about 1Mb/sec. This is the fastest connection speed in my area (to my knowledge). Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10 I have the highest ping of anyone (out of 8 players) in any server I join. I'm in Maine, but it doesn't matter if the server I'm connecting to is as close as New York or as far as California, my ping is virtually always the highest. It makes gaming very difficult. I'm trying to troubleshoot to figure out the issue. I've been trying various things and researching the subject for weeks.

I've tried disabling all my internet security (except my firewall - but have tried different firewalls at different times), refreshing my IP address, unplugging my cable modem and ethernet cable for 24 hours, exiting all non-essential programs shown on trask manager, and still my pings seem ridiculously high.

I called my ISP provider twice. The first time I ended up upgrading my internet speed from 8Mb/sec to 15Mb/sec standard and noticed no improvement in pings. The second time I did a ping test via command prompt ("ping www.yahoo.com" and found 454ms max) and a tracert test to various IP address. Ultimately, from the second call I ended up having to arrange a time for a technician to come and help me troubleshoot the issue. He is scheduled to come this week.

I am running Windows 7 Pro 64-bit with 4GB DDR3 memory and i7QuadCore Intell Processor with a Gigabyte motherboard and a 5750 radeon video card. My computer runs all of my games on max graphics settings without any problems. My FPS on L4D are about 60 on max settings. Turning down settings does not seem to improve ping.

I just noticed under my hardware and sound > devices and printers folder, one of my icons shows a problem and recommends troubleshooting. When I click troubleshoot it detects the problem as being with the driver for "Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter." It says "Reinstalling the driver might fix this problem." My computer is the only one in my home. I'm not connected to a network of computers (at least not that I know about). I did some research on Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter because I don't know anything about it and some information about the IPV6 came up. I also don't know anything about this except what I was able to gather from wikipedia. Apparently most people use IPV4 and IPV6 is the newer version.

I'm curious if someone might be willing to elaborate for me and explain 1) what they are used for and 2) what the pros and cons involved might be (for me with my setup). Also, could this be the issue causing my pings to be so high? Do I need IPV6 or IPV4 for my computer? Should I apply the fix by letting windows reinstall the driver or should I uninstall it entirely? I know there are a lot of other threads out there about IPV6 and IPV4 and how it works but I'm not really interested in learning all that. I just want a short answer of whether I need it and what advantages or disadvantages there might be for me having it. Basically I'm only interested in the subject because I suspect it might impact the ping issues I've been having. Also I'm just wondering what I should do about the problem with my driver windows detected.

I apologize for the lengthy post. I'm not sure what information is necessary so tried to include everything I could think to mention. Thanks for the help folks!

2. valamar

valamar Geek Trainee

IPv6 and IPv4 work side by side. IPv4 is standard, but being replaced by IPv6. you should be able to remove it safely, open a command prompt (as administrator) and try "ipv6 uninstall".

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you're using IPv6, it's probably the worst thing you can do for games right now. Most Internet infrastructure is running IPv4, which means IPv6 must be encapsulated in IPv4 in order to work. Really inefficient. I would disable any IPv6 and use IPv4 only until a majority of service providers get it together.

As for really high latencies, it would be good to know where the latencies are coming from. Have you tried running a traceroute from yourself to a public server? That should help you to tell on which hop the packets are stalling.