The browser wars

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by megamaced, Dec 7, 2005.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. Internet Explorer 6.x

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Firefox 1.x

16 vote(s)
    88.9%
  3. Mozilla Suite 1.7.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Opera 8.5x

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. Netscape 8.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Netscape 7x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Avant Browser 10.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Slim Browser 4.x

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Round 1 'ding ding'!

Please vote and share your opinions!

I (obviously) vote for Opera because of its stronger security. For example, whenever you enter a secure site, a small yellow box appears in the address bar. From there you can find out how strong the encrytion is and who signed the certificate.

Another reason is because of its browsing speed. Opera loads web pages much faster then IE and Firefox. Most pages appear correct and accurate (except those damn pages designed for IE only)

Opera's polished interface makes it the better looking and most easy to use browser of the lot too.

2. Addis

Addis The King

Pole: The browser wars

I've tried Opera, and tested out v8 and it is a good browser. But I can't agree with the claim that its the fastest browser, visiting a page (uncached) doesn't seem to offer an increase in speed.

Its a good browser for windows, but I would rather use my customized Firefox in linux.

3. Tunnie

Tunnie Geek Trainee

Iv used IE for year now, but just switched to firefox yesterday.. lets see how it goes!

4. Addis

Addis The King

Did you vote for IE? I'd rather use a text based browser like lynx rather than use IE now.

5. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Well I have Opera, IE, Firefox, Netscape, Maxthon and Flock, but the only one I use is the Fox!
    :ff:

6. megamaced

I remember once upon a time, Netscape would have been crowned winner! Where did it all go wrong for them? Oh yeah, AOL...

7. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Now Netscape's 'Gecko' rendering engine can be found in Mozilla and in turn Mozilla Firefox. Which, incidentally, is the browser I use a majority of the time. It's likely more secure than just about any other browser out there if you utilize the NoScript plugin. I also use Opera since the free version no longer sports banner ads, and Konqueror on occasion which is part of the KDE project. It's also worth mentioning that although Konqueror is conspicuously absent from this poll, it has an even better history for security than Opera. Konqueror's rendering engine is also the one upon which Apple's 'Safari' browser is based.

8. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Firefox for me too

9. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

FF all the way :good:
    P.S - You should of made the poll multiple choice!

10. megamaced

I have to give a special mention to Slimbrowser if all the below apply:

A) You are using a work computer
    B) Your work computer uses Windows NT4
    C) You don't have any administrative privaliges
    D) You are stuck behind MS Proxy server (which means no Opera or FF without a password to use the proxy :( )

In a situation like this, very little installs because of the restrictive access, and only some IE 'skins' work as IE has the proxy settings built in. Slimbrowser completely ignores my restrictions and installs anyway!
    I have spent hours trying to discover IE's hidden settings and passwords but i'll probably get sacked if i look further! I could ask for Opera to be installed but i'd probably get told to do some work!

Therefore, Slimbrowser is what I have to use. It's reasonably reliable (suprisingly as it's running on IE6) and sports tab browsing. The security is poor but then again i am behind the :swear: proxy!

11. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot]
    Just installed the 'No Script' plugin for FF. How do you know, apart from experience, which host/site to allow? For example - what is Burstnet.com (advertising???)?
    Do you allow Googleanalytic? etc....

Thanks for the tip.[/ot]

12. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

[ot]Well, I pretty much just use common sense but you'll get a good feel for what is needed and what is not. 90% of the time, the site doesn't need to be allowed to run Flash/Java at all in order to function properly (yes I block Flash too on untrusted sites, as flash can generate truly annoying popups). On the other 10% I use my best judgement. For instance, if I'm on a site called "PatchMyGamesPlease.com", and I see a site called "pr0ntracker.net" trying to run script, I can safely bet that I won't need to enable scripts from that domain in order for the site I'm on to function correctly. You'll get the hang of it with use.

-AT

P.S. - You do need to allow Javascript for hardwareforums to work 100%.[/ot]

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

firefox for the win

14. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

FireFox for life.

15. Fred

Fred Moderator

Yeah, I'm with firefox also. I can't really give a good reason why, though. I have Opera installed and I use it every so often, but I just can't seem to get obsessed with it the way I am with FF. It's a great browser, and I'm definetly glad it's free, but I dunno... I just haven't got myself to use it full-time.

16. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Firefox, but I used to use Netscape 7.x before. I switched because of the piss-poor documentation and support. But NS7 was awesome otherwise.

17. megamaced

I was an obsessive Netscape user up to 7.2. It had a decent email program and AIM all built in. I thought it was the best browser around. It was fast, reliable and reasonably secure, more so then IE anyway.
    I was really looking forward to version 8 and was so disapointed to see there was no email client to go with their email services. The other thing that struck me on first glance was how butt ugly it looked! I was forever switching between that horrible green skin and the classic skin. I spent hours trying to rearrange the layout into something i liked but never found a happy medium. I found the browser to be very irratating when in use, it couldn't switch between tabs very well, and often 'locked' for a few seconds when loading pages!

All in all, Netscape 8 left me with a bad taste in my mouth. Now let's never speak of them again :)

18. Invader Zim

Invader Zim Geek Trainee

I have been using IE for most of my Internet days but last year switched to FF and now i cant stand IE. I would have to say that the new tab feature of FF is my favorite part of Firefox. Not really knowing a lot about what goes on behind it or the security of this or any other browser i would have to say Firefox is the best browser for me :ff:

19. Someone28624

Someone28624 Big Geek

I've used Opera 7.x, Opera 8.x, Netscape way back in the day, and more recently 7.x and 8.x, Konquerer, Maxthon, Firefox (the first version it was Fx, can't remember which number)-1.5, and Avant. Also, even though I haven't ever owned a mac (unless you count the Apple IIe in the late 80s) I have used Safari at school. I keep coming back to Firefox.

I like Opera. I ha ve no issues with it, but I can't get used to the feel of it, even though I have customized it many different ways.

I also have no issue with netscape. I use it if I am switching back and forth between pages that need IE a lot. However, the UI feels cluttered at times (though if you play around with it you can get it to display a wealth of info and be less cluttered) and it is a little slow for my taste.

I keep coming back to Firefox no matter what. IE is just awful. I am amazed even 1 person voted for it. Long live the fox!