The first dual-core chips are almost here...

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Exfoliate, Mar 18, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

They're not far off but they're also not for your PC, apparently the Mac platform will be the first to utilize this technology from IBM.
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03/16/ibm_confirms_antares/
    These chips will be clocked a good bit higher than Apples best; the dual 2.5 GHz liquid cooled G5. Instead of 512KBs you'll see a more modern 1MB cache and one beast of a computer that will tear though photoshop 8 faster than you can say "Hey, this was Intel's idea!"

2. Addis

Addis The King

Problem is they're for Macs. I know that they're good for PS and the dual core chip will be used a lot in true multi-threaded applications such as that.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Too bad huh, Intel and AMD will figure it out eventually. And before I graduate I want to be using Longhorn too.

4. Addis

Addis The King

They are far past figuring it out. Infact they're close to releasing their dual-core chips themselves (around H2 of 2005 i think).

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay then, that's more like it. They'll probably cost more then I spent on my new rig but oh well.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

G5's are just the tits, we have a few at work and they are just extremely powerful machines.

Macs are kick arse machines man :)

7. Addis

Addis The King

I know we have one in our school CLC, beast at video editing. I think they're 1.25GB RAM with some G5 but can't remember the rest. But I never was allowed to use them :(.

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I like 'em too. I've got a dual 1GHz G4 w/ 1gig of ram at home. Very reliable, reasonably speedy and no fear of viruses/worms etc. The problem is any upgrades (pretty much exclusive to Apples towers) cost a crap load more than something just as good on the PC. Charging like $350 for a gig of ram in the Mac Mini is just insane. The G5 was not only one of the first 64-bit computers, it also gives you PCI-X slots, firewire 800 (which still hasn't caught on with PC users), and access up to 8 gigs of ram, of course it would only cost like $1400.

9. Addis

Addis The King

I'm confused. Doesn't a 64bit processor have the capability to access much more than 8GB? Since 2^64 is a really big number for memory addressing. Oh well its probably just something with the G5 itself. One thing that keeps many people back is the fact that a lot of the freeware/small apps don't work on macs. Which is a shame.

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

yeh G5's rule

Gotta a couple @ school, for our recording studio and digital art students.

rips a 12 track cd in apple lossless format in 47 seconds and burns it in 12. *drool*

11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, actually a 64-bit CPU can address up to 18 exabytes (EB) of memory. AMD put a cap on this and cut the amount all the way down to 1 terabyte for their 64 line.
    I don't know if apple/IBM did this as well but the G5 is defiantly capable of addressing over 8gigs, there's just no need yet. Your cpu (like all 32-bit processors) for example can access up to 4 gigs period, AMD's line gives you room for only 4gigs but as I said isn't limited to that. Well I'm sure you know this anyway so this is just my chance to pretend to be smart.

12. Addis

Addis The King

Lol yea AMD cut it down to a TB cause of the 40 bit regs, theres no need for a EB of memory now, but i just thought that it was weird for an 8gb on G5s.

13. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

My drum teacher got an iBook. 1.24ghz 512mb or something like that. Encodes really fast! I'd like to buy a mac, an iMac at that.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Those iMac G5's are pretty sweet. Too bad they only come with a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra, if you're good it can be upgraded as its isn't intigrated into the mobo but a Mac Edition 9800 Pro costs about $300 still. The power books are real slick too (the 15 and 17 inchers have a 9700 pro inside which is really nice).