The unrelenting beeeeeeeeep!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by daisycutter, Dec 7, 2006.

1. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hi everyone,

ive been trying to work out this little problem for a while now, but to no avail, so i have turned to these pages of wisdom in the hope of curing my pc's problem!

sometimes, when i startup from cold (ie 1st time i turn it on that day) it beeps one contiunous beep and wont stop. even when ive logged on to XP. i generally have to restart pc to stop it, and it generally doesnt beep the second time i restart it. ive looked up beep codes for my motherboard and even other makes of motherboard but nowhere give a reason for 1 continuous beep.

i have AMD64 3200, gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra-9 motherboard, 2gig cosair ram
    7600gt VCard.

i have checked all connections a billion times. anyone else have a pc that just wont shut up?

2. zeus

zeus out of date

Its weird that it carries on even when your in windows.
    Maybe its just the POST "pass" beep which doesnt end and not an error.

Id try flashing your BIOS.

3. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Go to your BIOS and set it to "Load Fail Safe Defaults" settings nd see if it goes away...........
    Actually the same thing happned to me when I was fiddeling around with the Award BIOS features...........and after selecting the load fail safe defaul settings it worked without beep!

4. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

ok, pc actually post beeps fine, single beep.

the crazy beep starts when it says 'press any key to boot from cd/dvd..'

do u think it means it has something to do with with dvd drive?

also, yesterday when it started beeping i smacked the side of the pc which semed t stop it beeping. it makes me think i have loose connection, but i checked and all cables connection ok.

anyother ideas?

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

there is a disc in the CD / DVD drive(s), remove them and give it another try, then try disabling the CD from the boot order list in the BIOS, and try it,

the reason why it could have stopped is: when you clouted it:crash: you could have made the CD drive skip / jump

6. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

yeah there is a cd in there, but in all my years using pc's ive always left cds/dvds in when i boot up and no probs.

does it mean me dvd drives dying?:(

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, it just means your BIOS is set to boot from the CD first[ot]BTW: was it the XP install CD in the drive[/ot]

8. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

but i thought i am meant to have cd/dvd drive set to boot 1st in bios, followed by hd. otherwise one wouldnt be able to boot from a cd.

off topic: donkey, it wasn't the xp cd, it was a game cd.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well if you go into the BIOS anytime you want and re - enable the boot from CD option, having the boot from CD enabled just slows your bootup time down (about 5 seconds, or however long it says "press any key to boot from cd/dvd"[ot]
    its just that the XP CD displays that, when you boot with CD booting first (well it does on my system)[/ot]

10. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

i disabled the cd and the beep seems to have gone away. but what was the problem in the first place. pcs dont normally beep continously when they boot of a cd in the drive?

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

the truth is: i don't know, i did used to say "PC's are like women, who knows what they want ? even they don't know[ot]don't question why it works, just accept that it did[/ot]BTW: the CD in the drive could not have being balenced, and rattling, who knows, i certainly don't:doh:

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

What kind of beep patter is it giving? Just one constant one long one or a series of beeps? The problem is making it so you can't boot.

13. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

hi guys,

like donkey suggested, i disabled the cd drive from the boot order and everything works fine now. im guessing cd drive thought it was a bootable cd though it wasnt.

big b: it is one continous beep and and doesnt stop til i reboot.