The World's First 512MB X850

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by ProcalX, Feb 26, 2005.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Graphics RAM is becoming more interesting, at the moment. ATI is clearly playing it both ways, with this new announcement increasing the amount of on-board memory and its HyperMemory technology decreasing it. It's interesting to consider why anyone would need 512MB memory right now, and the answer is to run at stupidly high resolutions or to run with lots of anti-aliasing. There is also the question of graphics memory moving to next-generation XDR technology, from RAMBUS..

Read More Here...

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

only thing I would know of needing that much vRAM is Autocad or things like that.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yes to constantly utilise all 512MB AutoCad would be good, however a Matrox or Quadro card specifically for CAD design would be a much better performer..

And games now a days will LOVE the 512MB due to the fact that Anti-Initialising and AF / Vertex Shading eats video memory up quite seriously - it would mean more of a constant FPS with AT an AF enabled than with a card with less than 512MB.

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

5. JAY

JAY sCoRpiOn

whats antialiasing?i enabled this option to (2x) when playing far cry demo but the screen had a thin white line around it..but when i turned it off it was back to normal.im using a geforcefx 5900xt card...

6. Addis

Addis The King

Anti aliasing is a feature of grapics cards which smoothes out rough edges in games (mostly diagonal lines). They slightly blur the edges so that it looks smoother but this can reduce performance. Update your graphics drivers and give it a try.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Although it really could hurt your framerates enableing antialiasing makes FarCry look a lot better. There are a ton of jaggies all over the place (particularly wires and skinny objects off in the distance) in the game which otherwise looks awesome of course. 512 MB of memory is really what you'd need to run Doom 3 in Ultra quality with the resolution turned up (on the single player portion anyway). In this mode nothing is compressed so it takes up a whole lot of memory and will run real slow in most cases.

8. Addis

Addis The King

In my experience, Jedi Academy worked ok on a Geforce 5900nu with AA enabled at around x2 or x4. However I'd disable anisotropic filtering or lower it since I can't see much difference and it reduces performance quite a bit.