Thinkpad T61p Screen is Broken

Discussion in 'Mobile Technology' started by CheddarTrek, Jun 8, 2010.

1. CheddarTrek

CheddarTrek Geek Trainee

Hey there everyone,

Problem in Brief: Laptop Screen on my Thinkpad T61p went out.

I'm posting on another area of this forum about which monitor I should pick up to use if I can't fix this, but honestly I'd much rather fix my laptop than have to buy a monitor to use with it.

My laptop is a Thinkpad T61p. Specs include 15.4" screen, NVidia Quadro FX 570m graphics, Core2Duo T9300 processor, and 3 GB DDR2 RAM, if any of that matters. I can provide further information if needed. I purchased the laptop about 2.5 years ago and have used it extensively. Warranty ran out a few months ago. I bought a monitor at Best Buy that I am now using with my laptop.

There was nothing that seems to have happened at the time the screen went out. I was working at home one day, went to make lunch, and came back to find the computer screen would not come on no matter what I tried. As far as I know there isn't a "make the screen not work" button that I could have hit on accident.

I did upgrade the Nvidia drivers a few days before this happened. However it appeared to work fine. I thought I would mention it in case there is the possibility of some kind of delayed reaction.

So, is there something hardware-related that I can check? I've never taken apart the screen area of my laptop, just the bottom to upgrade the RAM and clean out the computer. Would rolling back the Drivers possibly do anything?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm willing to try most things because my only options are to keep this monitor I purchased (which makes my laptop into a desktop), buy a new laptop (can't afford it and this one isn't dated yet, to me), or have Lenovo replace the screen for 600 dollars.

Thanks in advance!

2. HardwareHunter

HardwareHunter Geek Trainee

I will look at the possibility of a loose cable (connection on the motherboard). If you are not comfortable doing it on your own, take it to a repair shop to have a look at it.