Thoughts on this build

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by CptDDB, Jun 12, 2008.

1. CptDDB

CptDDB Geek Trainee

Ok, so I've decided to build my own system and I want it to be something I can upgrade in the future. :)
    Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated + if there's anything wrong with the build please do tell:D

Power Supply: Ultra X3 ULT40064 1000 Watt
    Chipset: nVidia (XFX) 790i Ultra
    CPU: Intel Q6700
    CPU Fan: Masscool 8WA741
    RAM: 2 Gb SLI OCZ DDR3 @ 2000MHz
    Video Cards: 2x(in SLI) nVidia (EVGA) 8800 GT
    Sound Card: Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality
    Hard Drive: Hitachi P7K500 500Gb 7200 16MB SATA-300
    Optical Drive: Philips SPD2415BD
    (20x DVD±R, 8x DVD+R DL, 4x DVD-R DL, 48x CD-R, 12x DVD-RAM)
    Case: Ultra M923 (full tower)

so that's it, I'm sure I forgot something and I'll feel like a bozo for forgetting whatever it was I may or may not have forgotten but anywhoo those are the specs. :chk:
    I would mostly like to know if it will work properly and if anyone has any suggestions.
    cheers and many thanks :)

EDIT: A thought.... would getting a nVidia 9800 GX2 be a better choice than the two 8800 GTs? what would the advantages be in either case?

2. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

nice, looks good, surprised you didn't go with a raptor HD and a water cooling system, lol.

3. CptDDB

CptDDB Geek Trainee

do you think I would need a water cooling system to deal with the heat? or could the fans that come with the case handle it :p

4. zxivate

zxivate Geek Trainee

sorry, I was being sarcastic because of how much you are spending, sorry. Do you plan to overclock? If you don't than what you have is good enough

5. CptDDB

CptDDB Geek Trainee

lol I apologize for not getting the sarcasm :doh: well, I might overclock, but in the future... I'm spending so much so I will be able to upgrade before I have to buy a new system, (and so I won't have to upgrade for a while ;)) that's why I went with the 790i instead of the 680i (for example:), more "future ready"