Ti4600 vs. 9600 Pro

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by harrack52, Aug 2, 2003.

1. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I was 100% sure I had posted this question but I canT' seem to find it...so I guess I've never asked it. Anyways, if I did, sorry for the double-post.

Now, to the point.

Some guy on amdmb is willing to trade a Chaintech Ti4600 w/ 2.8ns RAM for a 9600 Pro.

Would you make the trade ?

I'm not sure myself...I know it's a more powerful card, but it's not DX9 compatible so...I'm not sure if that would be a good deal.

The DX9 capability question is probably the very reason why the guy would want to make such a trade.

what about chaintech ? Do they make good cards ?
    Their mobos seem to be decent, from what I've read.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

No. The 9600 supports up to DirectX 9. The Ti4600 only goes up to DX8. On DX8 stuff, they're gonna be about neck and neck, but when you think about the future games coming out, like Half-Life 2 and Doom III, that DX9 support will make a world of difference. The Ti4600's are longer cards and can cause problems in with certain boards as far as clearance goes. Unless you really want a big-ass card and the loss of DX9, I really wouldn't go for it.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

That's what I thought. I'll keep my DX9 card. That and that's actually why I accepted (litterally) to pay more for this card : because it's DX9.

Right now I see 9500 Pros for the same price on ncix and I just wanna kill myself :p
    But hey ! I know how it is w/ computers, in a month the price of something else will have dropped too and then the month after so...

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, the 9500's are discontinued as the 9600's are replacing them. Also, the 9600's don't have it where the overclocking is hosed by the standard VGA BIOS ATi put out. I think Tyan was the only one that didn't have the OC limitation by default, and that was one of the more expensive models if I remember correctly.