To expert PC troubleshooters/technicians

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by titaniumradeon, Jun 24, 2005.

1. titaniumradeon

titaniumradeon Geek Trainee

MY computer SPECS

HIS EXCALIBUR radeon 9800xt 256mb
    ASUS P4C800
    seagate 40gig
    maxtor 40gig
    2x256mb twinmos ddr 400
    viewsonic e70 monitor

I really really need your help. i am at a loss at what's wrong with my computer. i shutdown it the last time i used it, when

i turned it up again there's no display. so i checked my vidcard if it's dirty or loose.i even set the jumper of the mobo to

set the default cmos settings. all to no avail. so i brought my cpu to a computer shop, and after calling them in the

afternoon they said it was okay. so i brought the cpu back home and then again there's no display.so i called the computer

shop and they said maybe it's my monitor that's at fault.so i brought the monitor to the shop and then right there they

tested my monitor on their cpu and their it displayed! so brought my monitor back at home tested it and again no display.how

come when they tested my cpu w/out my monitor on their shop it displays, and when they tested my monitor w/out my cpu on

their shop it displayed? i'm confused!!!! i tried connecting my cpu and monitor to another outlet in my house and still the

same result no display. i tried borrowing my brothers monitor and still no display,borrowed his vidcard using my monitor and

then his vidcard w/ his monitor on my cpu but still no display.

another addition, i tried using another power supply cable and still no display.
    we also tried plugging it to another outlet in my house and still no avail.and also my computer and monitor were never

together on the computer shop when it displayed.
    meaning it's either my monitor + their cpu = working on their shop OR my cpu(with my vidcard) + their monitor = working on

their shop.

keypad doesn't respond either to caps-lock,numlock the keys that we can be sure of visual response due to LED. another thing

i noticed was that the HD's LED is on steady red light, i noticed this because when my computer was functioning and

displaying well, the HD LED red light was supposed to be flickering instead of steady light.

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

are you sure no pins on the input for the monitor are bent or broken?

oh yeah is it on analog or digital input?

do other monitors work on your computer?

3. titaniumradeon

i borrowed my bro's monitor and still no display. this is a shortened detail,

my computer+my monitor plugged here at home = not working
    my computer+my bro's monitor = not working

my computer+computer shop's monitor = working
    my monitor+computer shop's computer=working
    my computer+my monitor plugged at the computer shop=haven't tried.

4. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

thats pretty weird but like i said before, are you using analog or digital connection? though this is a minimal help, it might help find the problem

5. titaniumradeon

i'm not quite sure about your question,but if your question pertains to my monitor, i'm certain it's analog. viewsonic e70 is CRT.

6. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

if none of those things that i mentioned have occured so far, but it works in different variations with different monitors and computers this is pretty weird, give me a while on this, ill do a little research, or one of the other members will answer your question in the meantime :good:

7. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

all right, i see this has occured with many linux computers but haven't really found this on XP, the only help i can provide is to reassure yourself that integrated graphics are not enabled, you might have to disable them through bios or to yank out the video card in your first pci slot following the uninstallment,

hope this helps man

8. funkyputers

funkyputers Geek Trainee

does your video card have an additional power connector, something that looks like an old floppy drive power lead? if the card needs additional power you might have to look intoseeing if your psu has the correct lead. try taking the card out and then reseating it properly.
    i had a similar problem with a sapphire 9800pro beast 128mb earlier this year. there was no picture what so ever. then i discovered that there was an additional power source needed for the graphics card. do read as many reviews of the graphics card and see if you have missed out on anything.
    if you have a spare psu unit that is a bit more powerful it might be worth a try.

9. titaniumradeon

guys, it's me titaniumradeon.thanks for the replies. so i was able to bring the monitor and cpu to the computer repair shop and it worked there. at least it isolated the problem, both me and the technician thought that our line at home could be at fault probably low voltage. so i brought my monitor and computer at home, but instead of plugging it to the usual place where i plugged the powercables, i plugged them to an extension cable and connected the extension cable to the outlet at my bedroom,happily my computer ran and there was display.it was okay for at least 2 days but then it happened again. the question that now comes to my mind is, is it really my house's electrical lines or is it my PSU that's causing all this trouble?

after relocating the extension plug to another outlet, the computer ran and displayed, so the display said that press f2 to go to setup or f1 to load default. i went to setup, a curios thing i saw was that on the the CPU fan speed was colored gray meaning normal, but the power fan speed's number was colored red (meaning it could be rotating too slow). so after exiting bios i went to windows, then shut it down, only to try turning it on again and not working again.

10. funkyputers

funkyputers Geek Trainee

borrow a psu some another computer and test your computer with that and all will be fine.

11. titaniumradeon

just tried my brother's PSU, and it still doesn't work. it has to be my house's line. :( if

that's the case, any of you have any ideas how to resolve this problem?

12. titaniumradeon

my computer's driving me nuts!!! i brought it to my friend's house and still the same result - no display! i'm going to take it back to the shop tomorrow,it's such a hassle already! i told them to check my parts one by one, use my parts on another mobo, and check my mobo maybe by putting some other vidcard,memory,etc and also to test my PSU. it would have been okay if they found a device on my computer as the cause of trouble at least i know what to replace and buy right away!
    again thanks for all your advices, at least we've all isolated the cause of the problem.i know this is almost solved.thanks.

13. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

I bet your PSU was in it's last throes when it was half working then it went postal and --gotta go to a movie, I will finish my post when I get back, sorry

14. titaniumradeon

okay, waiting for your complete version later.

killadroid likes this.
  15. titaniumradeon

guys my ASUS P4C800 is officially dead. the time i took it on the 1st computer shop it was already dying so it was hard to isolate the problem cos of inconsistent on/off. but today i took it to another computer shop and they tested all my vidcard,cpu,etc on another mobo and they were fine.but when they put other vidcard,cpu,etc on my mobo it won't run.

can any of you recommend a better mobo replacement for my dead one? at least an 875 or higher intel chipset please?

16. killadroid

killadroid Geek Trainee

Hi, I may be experiencing the same problem right now, at least all the symptoms seem to fit into my case.

Any ideas what caused it? I think that a lightning may have hit a power line or something alike and has caused an overvoltage.

Guess I have to buy a new motherboard too.

Sorry, Finnish-English -> guess the quality :good:

17. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

just make sure to get the board from a company with a good reputation I'd strongly recomend getting an Asus or Abit mobo

and also a surge protector, if thats what happened

killadroid likes this.