To overclock or not to overclock...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Exfoliate, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sorry if I asked this one already but the 1.8 GHz clock for my 3000+ winchester sort of bothers me. I've heard of people (on Newegg) overclocking as much as 800 MHz to 2.6 GHz. I don't necessarily intent to go that far but I think the extra performance bump would help out Doom 3 anyway. So should I try to increase speeds a few hundred MHz or wait a while? Thanks all.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

If you're getting above 30fps constant, I would not overclock at atll.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Bear in mind that with the Winchester chips its hit and miss as to whether you get a good overclocking CPU or not, depending on the week they were manufactured each chip varies in performance of its overclocking capability.

I had a 3200+ Winchester which i could not overclock past 2.4Ghz stable (from 2.0Ghz), i built a machine for a friend who just wants to play games, but isnt into overclocking or IT really.. anyhow i gave him my CPU at stock speeds and received his a week 47 Winchester 3200+ i could overclock this to 2.6GHz, however i could only keep it at 2.6GHz stable on a 1.6Vcore (from 1.4V) if i left F@H running for 18 hours or so i'd end up with a CPU temperature nearing 60C which i'm not comfortable with.

I like my CPU temperatures to stay below 50C, to test this out i stick the heating in my room on once i find a stable OC to max (warms room to about 35C) then i start seeing the highest temperatures.

Also remember that you will need a new HeatSink & Fan.

But again, you DO NOT need to overclock a AMD Athlon or AMD XP @ 1.8Ghz (Barton or 2800+) would still play Doom3 with out any problems.

If you are experiencing low fps, or lower fps than you think you should be getting it is down to other components, such as memory size/speed and timings or graphics card, or drivers.

Your 1.8GHz is fine for Doom3, you'll see a performance boost of 10FPS max if you overclock by 800Mhz, and bare in mind you'd need either: GeIL Ultra-X / Corsair XL PC3200 2-2-2-5 memory to gain those speeds, or PC4400 memory (DDR550).

If you want to give it ago anyway:

Increase the FSB in increments of 5 Mhz at a time - test it for stability (run 3Dmark03 / 3Dmark01 / F@H / Prime95), then reboot up it again.. until it becomes unstable in one of these programs, then increase your Vcore by 0.025 volts, until it becomes stable.

Once you start overclocking your memory i would stick your memory at 2.8VDimm, to ensure max performance).

You will need to lower your HTT (LDT) on the motherboard options as well, as this is the HyperTransport speed (1GHz = Memory Speed (FSB) x HTT)

HTT can be set @ x1, x2, x3, x4 & x5

by default its set to x5 as on AMD64's the memory runs @ 200Mhz FSB

200Mhz FSB (memory speed) x5 = 1000MHz (1GHz hyper transport)

You can keep HTT @ x5 up until about 220Mhz FSB, then it will become unstable after that and you need to decrease the HTT to x4.

Remember that its not JUST about CPU speed, if you have a 2.4GHz overclock on your 1.8GHz AMD64 3000+ it's no good if your memory timings are running @ CAS 3-4-4-8 2T Command

Memory Timings are basically the "clocks" that certain parts of the memory take to transfer data to other parts of the memory (this effects the overall speed of the memory).

2-2-2-5 is the the tightest factory timings in the industry at the moment mainly available for PC3200 memory such as: Corsair XL range / Geil Ultra-X range / GSkill PC3200-PC4800 (only runs 2-2-2-5 @ PC3200) / OCZ Gold Range

I had PC4400 but it was only worth me running an overclock if i could reach 2.5GHz as my memory timings kept having to be loosened.. @ 2.5GHz i was running @ 2.5-5-5-9

obviously you can also run a memory divider (DDR333 or 2:1 CPU:FSB ratio)

if you don't understand any of this then you really shouldn't overclock until you've read alot on understanding it: [google]AMD64 Overclocking Guide[/google]

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, this is really your department ProcalX, you're good at explaining things too because more or less all of that makes sense. Thanks man. I guess you're right though, I should work on the memory first. I need another 512 MB stick anyway (1 gig would be ideal).

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Yeh, well if your going to think about purchasing more memory i would really suggest that you throw away or keep your current Generic 512MB PC3200 as a backup, and use new memory entirely, your generic memory will have VERY slow timings and not be very efficient, i would look at buying: 512MB - 1GB of memory from:
    GeIL
    Corsair
    OCZ
    Crucial

these are the top manufacturers, and pretty much always have been.

Personally i would buy a 1GB Kit of GeIL Golden Value.

1GB (2x512MB) GeIL Golden Value PC3200 Kit (£90 :O !!)

Its not very fast timings wise, however your not overclocking your just gaming so timings dont really matter as long as they are reasonable. and even the Golden Value will kick your Generic memory in the arse.

Also, you're currently running Single Channel (64Bit Bandwidth rate) where as if you run 2 of the same size / make / speed memory you can get Dual Channel (128K - 100% faster).

Check out:

Geil Value: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/GeIL_Value.html
    Corsair: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Corsair_XMS.html (check out the: Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2 (MY-030-CS) £135)

personally i would get the Geil Value - for your needs its more than enough.

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Good links and ram ProcalX but a little pricey for my budget. Check out my thread "any good" in processors, memory, and mobo's and see what you think of the memory I was looking at. Thanks man.

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Get the GSkill (very good price)

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Great, thanks man. Just need the money now, I blew it all on my new computer but I still need a soundcard, good monitor, speakers, and this ram. $400 plus shipping will do.

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Wow, thanks ProcalX, you're the best. Yeah, I though about getting a LCD but you're getting less for more money. Slow response time, no resolution changing (w/o distortion of image anyway), screen easily damaged, etc. Here's what I was looking at:
    speakers
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=36-121-118&DEPA=0
    soundcard
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=29-120-103&depa=0
    monitor
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-001-166&depa=0
    memory
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-010&depa=0

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Actually LCD screens now are alot better, you will not find any image distortion on any new LCD screens when changing resolutions, the response times are increidbly good, and obviously the quality of the image you receive is ALOT better.

And you'll have to repost those links as they are broken.

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Fixed 'em. Thanks, I'll go post a thread inquiring about LCD's then...