Too many missing gigs...

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by beretta9m2f, Feb 10, 2006.

1. beretta9m2f

beretta9m2f Karate-Chop Action Gabe

What's up everyone,
    Hope all is well here at HWF land. onward to the issue.
    I've just installed a 300gb Seagate Barracuda Ultra ATA/100 hard drive; i know that generally this is always 1 or 2 gigs short of what it actually is. However my hd is showing up as only 279gb. Now, not that i really absolutely neeeeed 20 gigs (this is my second hd and the other one is a 200gb maxtor...we all know about them) but i'd just like to know where 20 gigs disappears to. Does anyone know? cuz i found this to be way too much of a loss between what the box says and what windows says. straaaaange.

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

279GB is the default usuable size for a 300GB hard disk.
    The makers of the hard drives count 1MB as 1,000,000 Bytes.
    Windows counts 1MB as 1,048,576 bytes.
    That adds up when you are talking 300GB!

3. beretta9m2f

Ah, i knew that a gig was 1024 mb, i just thought that the developers of the HDs put that into consideration when advertising the HD size. It all makes sense now, i'm clickin' thanks tab. ;)

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

That is pretty sick if you ask me. I would have thought the manufacturers would label their hard disk drive sizes responsibily! They are short changing people and they know it. :guns: If I buy a 300GB hard drive, I expect to see 300GB, not 280GB! :x:

5. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Anything to make money!

6. beretta9m2f

seriously! you end up loosing, in this case a whole 20 gig hard drive! thats insane- i would have gladly paid for something that said 280gb and actually was 280gb. jeez false advertising to the fullest, thats what it is.

7. srkitch

srkitch Geek Trainee

It's just semantics. they are actually telling the truth, the drive contains 300 GB, but PC uses base 2 not base 10. I'm sure the bastards had their lawyers take a long look at it to make sure that they could get away with it. On the other hand, in the RAM market we benfit from this as 1 GB sticks are actually 1024 MB. one industry is on our side, the other is trying to screw us. Typical!