Trouble with clean install of windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by usafmunk, May 6, 2011.

1. usafmunk

usafmunk Geek Trainee

So in an effort to install a clean version of XP or my parents I have run into a few problems. They did not have their windows install disc so i put the contents of one on a external drive and began to install it on their computer.

Apparently the copy of windows I obtained had either corrupted or missing files. If left alone they computer will try to continue with the install stops when it reports that Presetup.cmd file not found, setuporg.exe not found.

The only option is to reboot. I then tried to go back to the previous version in the boot menu. The old version loads fine, yet when the windows begins to start up the screen goes black. I can hear the windows start chime and other noises, but nothing comes onscreen. I then tried to make a boot disc and change the priority in BIOS. Still no luck.

My computer knowledge is rudimentary at best, but am usually able to work things out as long as I can play around with it for a while, but I have tried everything from safe mode to windows recovery and I have had no progress yet. Please help.

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like you need a setup disk,What was wrong with the old version of windows xp ? you Might be able to Fix /Repair windows xp with a Disk called
    Hirens Boot Cd...It has all kinds of software to repair or fix windows..If not, you will have to get your hands on a XP setup CD, Or download one..

3. usafmunk

usafmunk Geek Trainee

nothing in particuar was wrong with the old version, but they were complaining on how slow it had become. I was doing a clean install to start from scratch and remove all the fat from the machine. I had downloaded a copy of a installation disc via a torrent and described the meathod in me previous post. I then tried to make it a boot disc using Nero. I am not 100% sure that I made the disc right as I have never used Nero before. I may try to make another disc and see if it works, but it has been 2 days now without the computer and am really trying to get it to work for them again.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

I don't like Nero myself, I use Ashampoo burning studio, They do make a free version as well... Also Deep burner is very good free one.. Now You said
    you downloaded from Torrent ??? Allot of times these downloads have Virus or the files will be corrupted... Plus I think it is a no no to talk about that in here...
    Anyway, send me a private message and I can help you..Or give me your email address...
    What hard drive do you have Sata or IDE ???

5. Brian Lowe

Brian Lowe Geek Trainee

trying to fix my buddies Toshiba Satellite L505D S5965 by installing win xp home(cause that's all I could find). I would get about half way and get the bsod with: STOP: 0X0000007B 0XF78D663C 0XC0000034 0X00000000 0X00000000. Then I actually was able to install winxp successfully. managed to install avast and went to restart and the computer just got stuck in a restart loop, then the dreded bsod! so I tried repair console chkdsk, chkdsk /r, guess i will try to install again. do i need to press f6 during install and get some drivers ? help me obi wan, your my only hope.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

how old is this laptop ? It sounds like either A virus or the hard drive is bad.. Did you format the hard drive first ? Also did you run scan disk ?
    Pressing F6 at startup for drivers is for SATA hard drive drivers.. Does it have a Sata hard drive ?