Two questions....

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Waffle, Jun 13, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

...ok, first up:

Outlook Express: I haven't been able to receive any emails in a long time.

All the settings are exactly how they should be, and we have called freeserve/wandoo on multiple occasions.

It's very strange in that EVERY message that we specifically ask for as a test always turns up. Any message that is sent 'normally', we never receive. All spam we get was addressed to our normal address, but now it is to an address we have not used in several years.

A Frugal Virus was mentioned I think, but I was unable to find it. Any ideas?

We are on broadband, the number is correct, the POP3 and SMTP is all good, as is the username.

Second Question:

CD Compiling: I can copy a CD no problems. However, when I try to create a CD from songs that I 'acquired', the first track NEVER works, even when all the songs are perfect, and not corrupt. It is only ever the first track. Also, when I try to back-up CD's with copy protection, I first save the tracks, then convert them and then burn them back to a CD, the first track doe not work. I have had no problems up until about two months ago. No new hardware has been installed. (This is on my internet and work PC, not my new PC).

Any suggestions?

Thanks for all help.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'd run a virus scan and check it. If you need a free one, I personally use AVG.

I'd make sure that you have the latest updates for your CD burning software (be it the XP software, Nero, EZ CD Creator, etc)

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

That's a good point, given the problem only started when I upgraded to XP.

I'm running Norton 2003, which is probably too old to be of any use.

Thanks, I'll let you know if it worked.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Norton should be fine...as long as you keep it updated. If you don't, you're wasting your hard drive space.

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I used AVG, and checked norton was updated. No viruses, no nothing.

CD Burner - haven't tried yet, but I did download latest nero off of the site.

Thanks.

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

From what I understand, Norton [Symmantec] Anti-Virus is getting better about its detection algorythms, but I have had too many problems with it in the past to trust it completely. To be 100% sure you don't have a virus/trojan/worm, you can:

1) Disable NAV for the duration of this excercise
    2) Point an ActiveX-enabled browser to: http://housecall.antivirus.com
    3) Do a full scan on any drives which might be affected

That'll scan your system in real time using the latest scan engine and viral patterns. If you scan with the "Auto-Clean" (or whatever) feature enabled, it'll automatically clean or delete anything nasty it does happen to find.

As for the burning problem, it probably is just a problem with that version of your burning software. However, you might want to try a different type of blank disc, just to be sure.

-AT

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

nope that didn't fix it. but thanks.

we are now receiving around 90 emails a day, all of which have identical subjects and the same disturbing picture - (hrdcr asn slts) (add some vowels)if you must know.

The From address varies, but all are names. There is no click to unsubscribe button, and the addresses are like this

DonnaDudson@ box.is
    joeyjuddge@ is.is

basically, differnet name, different @....., but same is. This I found to be an Iceland ISP, so I contacted them, but have no response. (emailed in both languages :p)

any clues? any recommended spam ware? preferably free.

thanks all - and my burner is now fixed. cheers.