Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Addis, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Installed the new release of Ubuntu on my laptop today. I did the recommended upgrade by using the network update instead of a CD. I made a stupid mistake though, I left a DVD iso downloading at the same time, and when I came home today, and answered a configuration dialog during install I realised that I had used all the space on my root partition.

This wasn't good, and when the install resumed it threw at error. Fortunately it saved itself and started configuring the packages already installed, which was pretty much all of them.

There are some problems using the Appearance settings manager in GNOME, it basically crashes and screws up the theme. Typical. Popping into KDE, everything's just about the same. My configuration has remained intact, although there's a very interesting new development.

The default file manager for KDE is now Dolphin! Konqueror has been used for years, but a 0.9 version of Dolphin is used in Kubuntu now. I quite like it once I fiddled with the view mode, and zoom settings. It's a capable file manager.

Overall its not too bad, haven't used it enough to fully warrant a review yet.

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

yeah, i like it too, however, konqueror had the option to have a popup tips with file details and a small preview & upon initial inspection i can't find an option for tips to give file details & preview, but, further options will probably be added after the official release

BTW: i used 0.8.1

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

I installed it today as the Debian installer would not recognise my NIC!!! WTF!!!!!.

The installation seems very slick and the choice to install propriety drivers!!!! Man I am in heaven! I had my laptop on wireless in about 5 minutes!!! Can you adam-n-eve it?

Anyway, for me, apart from the ease of installation, there is not much difference.
    I will stick to this one for the moment....

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, personally i've never used wireless, however, due to problems with my router (losing all settings when power fails) i'm considering replacing my router with wireless one, as i believe my router needs replacing anyway, any recommendations ?

5. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

[ot] My netgear DG834GT was supplied free by my ISP so I had no choice.
    So far it has been very good apart from a spell of a bout three-four days where I could not get it to work. But, fingers crossed it seem to be OK now. I am really not very knowledgeable about these things... AT is all things NETish, he might know.

You are right, wireless should be avoided if possible but I am using quite a strong encryption so hopefully I am protected to en extend.... [/ot]

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I'd actually stick to hard wiring if at all possible, since it's so much faster, more secure and more reliable than going wireless.

I hate the little plastic appliances that require reboots and fail commonly, so I'm probably not much good for advice about home-grade routers. :p If it helps, I'm using a simple ADSL bridge with a Linux firewall running behind it for my edge router (IPCop, 400MHz K6-2, 256MB PC100, 3x Realtek NICs) and a gigabit switch (Netgear GS108). Rock-freaking-solid, and the whole setup didn't cost much overall.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

can't argue with the master, but, as my router is poorly & needs replacing (not in a hurry) so, i was thinking wireless was the way to go, however, non wireless it is, but, now i've got to find a new router to buy, as i'd almost decided on a (Hayes) Zoom 5590 for £50 from PCWorld, will find another, non-wireless one

BTW: currently currency conversions 1 GBP = 2 USD ish, so, £50 = $100 ish, still wanting a router (non-wireless) recommendations, any ideas ?

Edit: presumably your using your bridge to connect your network to the net, however, i don't have a network (yet) & i'm stuck with a single system, due to finances.

Edit: why are you using a gigabit switch ?

presumably you also have gigabit NICs, correct ?[ot]recently found what && does (with *nix)[/ot]but, i still don't consider myself anywhere near as good or as knowledgeable as you, but, hopefully i'm on my way, everything is on net!

8. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

If you really want wireless, I'm not trying to talk you out of it. Rather, just giving my honest opinion. :)

There are some pretty decent Linksys or Netgear routers you can pick up for that price. I had a little steel-chassis Netgear 'ProSafe' VPN Firewall for years a while back, and it worked pretty well at the time. Still much happier with my D.I.Y. IPCop box, or m0n0wall/PFSense though, to be honest. I like having more power and flexibility than home routers give, but I don't want to spend $10,000 on an enterprise router either. :p

I got my firewall for free. You may find a PC of that class easy to aquire for cheap or free also, since it'd be far too low-end to run Windows on. :chk: For an idea of how my topology is layed out, see the attached image. You can see the bridge on the edge of the network. It doesn't do any routing or even provide an IP; it just basically turns ADSL into something an ethernet adapter can understand, e.g. a modem.

Because I have multiple Linux workstations and a central NFS file server. If I was only using my network for Internet access, a gig switch would admittedly be pretty pointless.

My server and one of the workstations have gig NICs, everything else (including the firewall) is 100megabit. It's nice that the switch and server are gig, since they can handle many 100Mb connections simultaneously.

[ot]
    I'm not that great, learning something new every day myself. :) I do work with networking every single day though, so this is an area I'm pretty comfortable helping with. Let me know if you have any more questions.[/ot]

Attached Files:

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

thankies AT, having mouse & K/B problems now, don't know which yet!

i will respond later

BTW: had fun using *nix without a mouse, tab key overuse, but, it's possible to use *nix with only a K/B, although it is a pain

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

fixed, knacked mouse, now using a reliable ball mouse, it just needs cleaning now and again

laser mice are better, bullsh1t, a laser mouse just died, give me old working stuff anyday

but i'm still confused by the num lock light on when system powered off :confused:

Edit:
    liar
    me 3
    :jealous:, i'm just an ass'ole home user
    thankies