Uh? Hows this Temp?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Darcadian V1, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

Not too long ago I set out to build myself a great new pc from scratch and
    am proud to announce success!

Theres only one thing Id Like to check.
    I got an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (barton core) and would like to know if a cpu temperature of 48c to 53c is ok (53c being after a heavy game
    session). :swt:

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

congrats on the new system :)

The temps are ok but I would try to bring it under 50c under load :) but as long as your system works fine and doesn’t restart at random times you should be fine! I would say max 55c!?!

I'm sure other will offer you more advice!

3. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

Thats great thanks
    Oh and that film Donnie Darko is superb isnt it. :D

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

n/p :) yep it is! hehe

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

If you're using the stock cooler, those are normal temperatures. If not, then you either installed it wrong, you're using cheap thermal paste or you wasted money (not too much I hope).

If you really need the cpu to run cooler, I suggest you get a heatsink from thermalright(slk-800/900, sp-97). They cost quite a bit and come with no fan. I personnally like Panaflo fans - quiet and powerful.
    ...Along with some Arctic Silver/Céramique.

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

^^^ Pretty much what he said. The main thing is, if it's stable, I really wouldn't worry too much. You might make the extra investment with some Arctic Silver or Arctic Ceramique, but unless you're unable to sleep at night, don't sweat it.

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

the athlons are supposed to be able to run at 60C. You've got some room for panick and some room for improvement

8. Darcadian V1

Darcadian V1 Big Geek

Thanks people thats put my mind at rest. :good:

9. rich998

rich998 Geek Trainee

With the help of these guys above, I recently put together an Athlon 3200+ system using a thermaltake Volcano12 fan and heatsink which has the option to have an adjustable fan speed set manually at the back of the PC.

The case is well vented with 1 x 120mm exhaust and 2 x 80mm inlet Panaflo fans.

I'm not overclocking the PC but I have set the fan to 4600 rpm and I have a reading in the range of 39 to 44 degrees C (44 only when gaming). I have used Artic Silver 5 and I feel that it has made a difference as the CPU has been 'broken in' as I have seen the temps drop marginally by a few degrees. Well worth doing and is very easy to do.