Unblocking Port 119

Discussion in 'General Software' started by jmurray1212, Jul 16, 2005.

1. jmurray1212

jmurray1212 Geek Trainee

Hi everyone,

Hopefully someone can help me.I have uninstalled a firewall programme calledSygate - now it had no uninstaller and I couldn't uninstall from Add/Remove in Control panel of windows so i just deleted the folders etc. However I think there may be some software residue still on my machine. I am using a programme called Usenext to download media etc but often it tells me port 119 is blocked. Any ideas on how I unblock it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    All the best
    James

2. Addis

Addis The King

Which folders did you delete?

Try installing another firewall like Kiero firewall.

jmurray1212 likes this.
  3. jmurray1212

jmurray1212 Geek Trainee

Hi,

I just deleted the folders in program files - basically i opened up the C drive then found the Sygate folder and right clicked and deleted it.

Hope that helps
    Many thanks
    James

4. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

I'm not sure how firewall programs work in Windows but I would assume that a blocking program loads up at start-up time. Check your start-up folder (both for your username and the "All Users" setting) and delete anything that looks like it might be related to Sygate. You could also check the task manager and see if there are any programs running that could be doing this.

5. jmurray1212

jmurray1212 Geek Trainee

Hi Penguin - tried all this mate but to no avail. I feel some 'residue of the programme is hidden somewhere in the system

Thanks
    James

6. ThePenguinCometh

Could this be the problem?

Addis likes this.
  7. jmurray1212

jmurray1212 Geek Trainee

Hi Penguin - That looks a fairly reasonable assumption!!! I am with AOL (no sniggering please) and it would not surprise me if this was the case!! I am using Usenext and it accesses media via newsgroups so this seems a very reasonable assumption.

Thanks for all your help mate - greatly appreciate your time and effort.

Kindest Regards
    James

8. ThePenguinCometh

Come to think of it that probably explains a problem I was having a few weeks ago connecting to Usenet. I think if you go to Google Groups you will find what you're looking for.