Understanding the Cell Processor

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Anandtech has an article detailing on how the Sony/IBM/Toshiba Cell microprocessor, the CPU to be used in the PS3 and some interesting, albeit long features on CMOS workings.

Cell is just as much of a multi-core processor as the upcoming multi-core CPUs from AMD and Intel, the only difference being that Cell's architecture doesn't have an entirely homogeneous set of cores.

Cell's Execution Cores
    The Cell architecture debuted in a configuration of 9 independent cores: one PowerPC Processing Element (PPE) and eight Synergistic Processing Elements (SPEs). The PPE and SPEs are obviously different, but all eight SPEs are identical to one another.

The PPE is IBM's major contribution to the Cell project; it also appears to be very similar to the core being used in the next Xbox console.

Anandtech

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Awesome article Addis, I was actually just about to go research this same topic myself. Imagine how sweet those PS3 games are going to look and play though...

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Xbox2 uses 3, 3.5ghz IBM 64-bit processors with an x850 512mb video I believe.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Really? Wow have you got a link?

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

6. Addis

Addis The King

With that seems very powerful. And would be a very expensive powerhouse.
    A big change from the modded Celeron 733 isn't it.

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah, to me the Xbox seemed a little on the less impressive side of technological achievements, when compared to the PS2, which was ground breaking in it's day. The Xbox simply used an existing 32-bit processor and (what was then) a very awesome videocard.