Uninstalling specific WinXP updates

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by loaded_chambers, Mar 25, 2004.

1. loaded_chambers

loaded_chambers Geek Trainee

I'm trying to put my old Pioneer DVR-A05 in my Dad's computer but it won't read blank DVD-R'/RW's. When you click on it in My Computer it just says 0.00 for free space and switches from DVD-RW drive to CD drive. I had this problem while I had it and found out that the Windows update "Q320174:This update addresses several CD Burning issues in Windows XP" was the problem on my machine. I had SP1 installed before I figured it out(Even sent it back to Pioneer for repairs)and I had to do a fresh install of WinXP without that specific update for it to work on my machine. My dads computer is a newer Sony Vaio(P4 2.6, 512MB of PC2100, 1X DVD/RW drive, XP Home) and it comes with system repair disk that formats the drives and restores the comp to factory setting. I used it and it took out his SP1/most WinXP updates but the one I was trying to avoid must be integrated in his version of Windows or something. So I was wondering if there's a way to manually delete it off his comp so I can stop getting called and bitched at everyday to get it to work. I looked in the add/remove programs but it's not listed. I know it's gotta be the same problem cuz it's doing the same things it did on mine. DVD movies, CD's, CD\RW's features can all be used. Just can't read blanks.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

The easiest solution is to just avoid using the integrated WinXP burning software, which is just Roxio anyway. Get Nero Burning ROM, and you should be able to burn with the best of 'em.