Unix

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by zeus, Jul 9, 2003.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

Would someone mind explaining to me what the diffrence is between all the different OS based on Unix.

Theres so many, the ones I can think of off the top
    Unix
    Linux
    Mandrake
    Redhat

but there are literally hundreds of versions..... open source, what should I expect! :rolleyes:

But does anyone know which I should consider downloading? Is it worth downloading? All I do is surf the net really, and play games when I get the chance.

Also, there is Lindows. Does this run windows compatible program? Im doing an Open University degree and loads of the work is on cd rom which apparently only works on '98/Me and Xp/2000.

I can use the software on another computer though I suppose if I need to.

I just wanna learn something else other than bloody Windows all the time. The fact that you can manipulate Unix is great, I may end up learn a language. I hate all the crap that gets thrown into your OS when you install Windows, there is so much I just do not use. Whats the point in having it?

2. zeus

zeus out of date

O yeah, My primary hdd is NTFS too.

I bet that will cause me problems!

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Unix OS's comprise most of the available OS's to my knowledge. Linux is a freebie version of Unix. As far as Linux goes, you have OS's that are Debian or Redhat---which are both available versions, with ones like SuSe and Mandrake, respectively, that use a Debian or RPM (Redhat Package Manager). Personally, one of the easiest to install is Mandrake, but Redhat is pretty nice too. It could just be my perception, but Debian distributions tend to be a little more advanced.

As far as NTFS goes, most new Linux distros can read NTFS.

If you don't mind spending a little money, what you could do is add a removable HDD rack to swap out the primary hard drives and avoid the file system issue altogether.

There is also a distro that runs off a CD-ROM, and it's called Knoppix. Since it runs off the RAM and uses a pretty GUI, it can be a bit of a beast. On the opposite end of the scale, you have LOAF (Linux on a Floppy)---which is going to be a command line and you.

4. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive been looking at all the different versions and haven't got a clue which one to go for.

Im trying to find a stable one. Theres no point in a crashing OS!
    But I want a simple one. I really dont want all the stuff they load you up with. I hate clutter!
    Can you simply take of what you dont want? Like with the 'Windows Components' and to a greater extent?

It would be nice be able to make my own! lol But that just isnt gonna happen, I cant even be arsed learning HTML! let alone whichever language Unix is in.

Im being drawn towards Lindows,Knoppix and lycoris.

Which do you think is best?
    As long as my games will play everything else will be fine. I dont use heavy programs, just games, and the odd bit of rendering.

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've never really used any of them. Only way I found out about Knoppix is that one of the local shops had one guy with it that he got at school from someone. Lindows seems nice, but last I checked you had to purchase it. You can buy the different distros, but you typically have a means to download each CD's ISO for burning. You only need the 1st CD-ROM.

Any distro will work, so it's really which one is easier/harder to setup. I'm a lot less familiar with Linux/Unix than Windows and haven't really made use of much else than Mandrake.

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

No matter what version of Linux you're gonna' use, you'll have to pick up a book and start reading because you can forget about everything you know about windows.
    That's the only trick.

Right now Mandrake and RedHat are the most popular. You can get them on the net or you can buy them, which will be under $10 probably. It may be given with a book that you buy also.

And yes, you can install whatever you want. The reason why Linux has so many programs is that all the programs it offers, have the same functionalities than the one you buy from Microsoft, but they're absolutely free with the distro !
    You don't have to spend $300 for MS Office, because Open Office is offered by Linux. Ok Ok, it may not be as pretty but still, it has all that you need.

A distro that will give you plenty of stuff is SuSe 8.2 Pro.
    If you install everything from this one, you're looking at 8 or 9gb of space on your drive.
    I bought this one for $8 I think on ebay.
    I think you can download it, but you won't have all the cds.

Anyways, bottom line is, you'll have to read a lot and then some.

7. zeus

zeus out of date

Ok, Cheers for the help guys.
    Im probably going to have a go with a downloadable version of Lindows first.

From everything Ive read so far on the OS I reckon I might like this a lot more than windows.

8. zeus

zeus out of date

Ok Ive got a version of linux and am burning it now.

Im not too sure which hdd to install it on.
    Ive got a slow 15gb drive, I dont think it even runs at 5400rpm, and an 80gb western digital 7200rpm 8mb cache hdd.

At the moment ive got windows and all the crap you accumulate on the 80gb drive, and I use my 15gb drive to put files I want to keep on.

Thing is, ive got more than 15gbs of stuff I wanna keep, so it makes sense to move evrything I wanna keep onto the fast hdd, and put windows or linux on the 15gb drive. When I install programs Ill install them on the 80gb drive.

But because this 15gb drive is slow (ill do a sandra in a second) will it decrease my system performance if my OS is running from it?
    Or wont an OS exceed the data transfer of my slower driv, making it perform the same. If you know what I mean!

I really dont wanna start messing around with partitions cos I will just fill them straight away! I make full use of all 80gb of space quite often.

9. zeus

zeus out of date

It seems Ive got hdd problems anyway.

The old 15gb drive is about normal, (sandra pro) 11,222kbps
    But my 80gb drive gets only 26,338, the equivalent in sandra hits about 44,000!

Ive definatly got the ata100 lead in too cos it says 'ultra ata cable' on the cable.

Has anyone got a hdd similar to compare it to? My test file size was 640mbs.
    Which is the same as my ram. Surely my pc'125' isnt making it score like this!

Im gonna have to get tweeking before I change OSs!

10. zeus

zeus out of date

Ive just pulled windows apart and put it back again in a nicer way.

http://www.faceparty.com/public/501/images/0161_2902452.jpg
    This if with both bars open.
    The top bar is everything you need, links to programs, recycle bin, documents etc.

The bar on the left is the task bar and the systray.

Both bars auto hide to give....
    http://www.faceparty.com/public/501/images/0161_2902449.jpg

Sound annoying, but the autohide works reall well.

Im made up with it! :)

Ive also made the windows look a bit like an Imac. Its got the same links (forwards, back, home, favourties eyc) as windows, its just skinned like the mac..... plus the close, maximise and minimize buttons are like the imac, same places as the mac too.

Its something different !