Unusual Computer Problem

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by JonGordon, Apr 13, 2011.

1. JonGordon

JonGordon Geek Trainee

I recently built a custom Desktop (well, had one built for me), and for a few weeks it worked really well.

Spec:
    AMD Phenom II T1075 3.0 Ghz
    MSI 870-G54A MoBo
    1 TB Hitachi HDD 7200 RPM
    ATI Radeon HD 6850 1GB
    8 GB RAM (2x4)
    500W Power (Replaced with 575W)
    Windows 7 64bit

After about a month, I could not get the computer to power on, so I called the company that built it, and they sent me a new power supply, which I quickly installed. The computer then booted, but sat at the initial MoBo Screen for about 3 minutes (it still does this) and when Windows finally comes up, the computer starts for a minute, freezes, and then shuts down. I am savvy enough to start in safe mode, and fix the registry problem causing the freeze/shutdown, but the boot time (at MoBo screen) is still 3 minutes.

Today, Windows desktop does not load at all. Every time I try to boot I am faced with "Start Windows Normally," vs "Safe Mode" and I select "Normally," and come to the screen "Windows is Starting," but after that I just get to a black screen with a move-able mouse.

Any help would be appreciated!

-Jon Gordon

2. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

It could be a faulty RAM stick. I would definitely run memtest and see if they're the cause. Otherwise it could be an issue with Windows or maybe even the Hard Drive.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

How does it run is safe mode ? Does it freeze up in safe mode ? Could be a driver sticking...