Unusually high Temperatures.

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Cooper, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

I just got my new comp up and running, and noticed that the temperatures were real high. The cpu is around 50 idle, and everything else is like around 40. My CPU has the retail heatsink and fan, my power supply fan is working, my video card fan is working, and my case fan is fine. My specs...
    2.8ghz Pentium 4
    512 mbs ram
    80 gig SATA hard drive
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    Do I need more fans/new heatsink, or what? Thanks.

2. Addis

Addis The King

The P4 Prescott does run a lot hotter and consumes more power than the Northwood. If you have it thats likely to be the problem. But still, 50 is too high for idle. You might want to make sure you've got some good thermal compound on your heatsink which should lower your temps by a few degrees. If its still too hot then you can always try a meatier heatsink and tidy the cabling inside for better airflow.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, if your 2.8 has an 'E' after it, that does denote it as being a Prescott core, which tend to run on the warm side. In addition to the above post, know that if you're reading things through BIOS, know that the temp sensor isn't necessarily accurate. If it's reading it from the on-die temp sensor, that's a different story.

If you haven't, a few well placed case fans can do wonders. The key is having the airflow going in one direction...typically in the front and out the back.

4. Addis

Addis The King

Yea, also i think having slightly negative case pressure is better, so you might want to try having one more fan blowing air out than sucking air in.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

I'm not sure having negative air pressure is better. What will cool the cpu if there is no air inside the case ?

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

An exhaust fan is about 5x more efficient than an intake fan. So, as long as you have places for the fresh air to be drawn into the chassis, the act of exhausting the hot air is enough to both push the hot air out and pull the fresh air in. That being said, I like having a fan mounted right in front of the hard drives, as they are the most susceptible to heat damage.

7. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I don't think he has any case fans, he has a spot for a 120mm front intake, and two 80mm exaust, dont know about top or side!

Oh, kevin I'm buying lapping supplies for something to do, I could lap your heatsink and I have another 70mm fan, and see if that helps temps when I come over on Friday

` :karate:

8. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

I have an 80mm exhaust fan on the back of my case.

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

If you want, we could lap it, and stick a different fan on your heatsink to see if that helps

10. Addis

Addis The King

I can't remember where i read about having regative case pressure. It might have been someone on these forums said it or it was in a pc mag.

11. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Actually, IIRC, I believe it's positive air pressure...having a little more coming in than going out is the theory anyway.

12. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i am having the same problem with my pc, its overheating majorly, rebooting as soon as i get into Battlefield:Vietnam : / or a few seconds in..

thinking of getting a Swiftech MCX462-V with a 92mm 50cfm fan, waiting to 1.get paid, and 2.get a repsonse on whether it will fit on my motherboard

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Wait. If it's only BF:V that's the problem, make sure it's patched up properly first.

14. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

yeh it is, but i dont have anything else that causes the problem, its mainly yesterday i had BF:Vietnam running on a 64 player online server at the same time as running FAH without realising! and even when i got into windows and ended the task it was still having problems cooling down..

i got a GlobalWin Heatsink off a mate today, its only a 2800+ but im not after overclocking cooling merely standard heatsink..