Upgrading memory question

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Ronje, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Ronje

Ronje Geek Trainee

I was told that when upgrading my RAM I should use exactly the same type of "sticks", but I'm not sure what it means.

Currently I have 4 slots, of which 2 are empty. The full ones each have 512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM. I dont think such sticks are still made.

Considering I want to upgrade to 2GB (preferably without replacing the old sticks as my budget is tight), what should I verify about the new sticks?

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hold on to something as thi is going to go fast, but don't worry PCWizard can usually identify your current RAM, basically, you obviosly know you need PC3200, but you also need to know the CL (CAS Latency, usually 2.5 - 5 for DDR) and asuming you have a generic mobo and not a brand like Dell

(i think) CL & RAM timing can usually be changed in the BIOS, however, i haven't done it myself

BTW: RAM timings = tCL (CAS Latecy), tRCD (RAS to CAS), RAS Precharge tRP & Cycle Time (tRAS)

i'm not 100% sure i am correct, however it looks like i know what i'm talking about, just wait until someone else agrees with me

3. Ronje

Ronje Geek Trainee

So basically you say I need new sticks with the SAME timings?

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

easy answer, yes. however, can change the timings in the BIOS, if you can change the timings in the BIOS then you need to buy RAM that will run at the timings that your motherboard & existing RAM can run at

sorry if i'm wrong, can someone please correct me if i am wrong

Edit: and CL, but i'm not sure that can be changed :unsure:

:unsure:

5. Ronje

Ronje Geek Trainee

The CL is not a problem, I'm more worried about the memory speed (200Mhz), I cant seem to find sticks that slow anywhere.

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

try Google Isreal search for ddr 200Mhz buy, like here

7. rimmer

rimmer Geek

200MHz is the actualy speed which the memory runs at, but its double that because its DDR, therefore you want DDR400, AKA PC3200, then it will quite happily run at 200MHz (400MHz effective) unless theres some kind of limitation, e.g. cheap motherboard