Urgent Help Nedded!!! Motherboard Help!

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by blade, Jul 12, 2006.

1. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

Hi,

I bought a motherboard complete with a p4 3.2 ghz ht processor on ebay, without any software cds. Its my first time installing a motherboard. The motherboard works, but it won't start; as in it won't go to the log on screen, it just kept restarting.
    I then configured a couple things from the bios settings, and now it won't even boot up-(nothing on screen). Its prolly because I swiched the boot order to have the hard disk boot up first then have the cd rom boot 2nd. (The default setting had it the other way around)
    To fix my motherboard problems I'm assuming I need the drivers/software for the motherboard installed on my hard drive first, thats prolly why it never went to the log-on screen and just kept restarting in the first place -duh.
    The only info I can get from the motherboard is the following...

P4 Titan
    VRM 10.0
    AGP 8x
    Gigabyte 85648FXP-RZ

Phoenix BIOS
    0686 BIOS
    Phoenix 1998

Does anyone know where I can download the drivers/software for this motherboard?:eek:hah:

Thanks.

2. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

your system keeps rebooting because you don't have an operating installed yet. or have you installed an operating system (windows or linux?) you say it's your first time installing a motherboard so i'll take it you've never played around with a computer before? First of all, Have you got all your necessary components? CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Hard drive, Cd drive, graphics card (or built in)? If you've got all that, connect them all to their respective places on the motherboard, and make sure everything is properly in place especially the RAM, make sure both clips have clicked before you proceed. then turn your computer on, (make sure your keyboard and mouse has been plugged in) insert your windows or linux installation cd, (set your cd to first boot device in bios.) then after a few screens you should see something like "press any key to boot from cd" then you just follow the prompts.
    here are the drivers for your mobo driver page

3. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

Sorry, yes I have all the necessary components. I'm just replacing my motherboard.
    I am running Windows XP w/SP 2.
    All components are intacted.
    Now I went on the webpage, do I have to install all the drivers? I am running with my old motherboard so I can connect to the net and find answers to my problem. By downloading the drivers for my new motherboard, will it delete the drivers from my old/current motherboard?

Thanks.

4. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

you can't just put in your new mobo with your old hard drie. you need to re-install windows xp if you want to use your new motherboard. that means you need to reformat your hard drive. otherwise, you may find some conflicts in your system. right now, download the chipset, audio and LAN for XP and burn them to disc. so once XP has been installed on your hard drive with your new motherboard, install these new drivers.

5. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

I can't re-install Windows XP, because I don't have the Windows XP CD. What should I do?

Thanks.

6. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

You really need that CD. I've tried install XP on another computer so that i can just put my mobo on thinking that everything will be fine and dandy, but no. it said that it can't continue to prevent any damage. If you don't have the CD, then, i can't suggest anything else but to get one.

7. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

2 questions...

1.)Does it have to be the original windows xp cd(the one that was used to install the current os) or can I just buy a new one? and what will happen to all my info./data on my hd if I re-install from a new win xp cd

2.)Also, after changing a couple settings from the bios settings, I'm not able to even get the new motherboard to boot up anymore. The new motherboard powers on, but nothing shows up on the screen. My monitor even stays at stand by when I power on the new motherboard (all devices intact); someone told me to reset my bios- I have to reset the jumper on the motherboard to the reset position. I have no idea where that reset position is. I've included a link for a pic of the motherboard, to see if you can tell me where it is. http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/...ProductID=1853

Thanks.

8. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

any wind xp will do. if you mean by your data or saved files on your hard drive, it will be deleted if you choose to install XP. it would do you good if you backed up all your important files.

to be honest with ya, i don't know too. i haven't done that coz i don't like playing with jumpers. another way to do it, which i've found easier to execute, is to remove the cmos battery ( on the motherboard, it looks like a battery watch, well, it is a battery watch ) all you have to do is remove it, keep it out for a few moments, then install it again. then you're bios or cmos will be resetted. Good luck and be careful.

9. daisycutter

daisycutter Geek

i read an article in a magazine which showed you how to upgrade your motherboard without reinstalling xp.

unfortunetaely i dont have the mag with me right now, but i did a quick check on google for "changing motherboard without reinstalling xp" and that came up with a few links.

there seems to be several methods, the one i remember reading (i cant remember exactly so if this rings a bell with anyone....) you have to run a command which forces XP to 'forget' what hardware setup you have and re-dectect hardware configurations upon reboot, by which time you will have already switched the mobo.

il let u know what the exact method is once i get hold of the mag.

10. donkey42

donkey42 plank

right, i´ve puchashed mobo from ebay and they usually don´t work until you do a BIOS reset (just post if you don´t know how to do this)

yes, you do need XP CD (or recovery CD that came with an OEM pc)

no, you can reinstall XP without affecting yor current data

but thats not nesisary just reset BIOS and assemble the compenents and turn on, then i think you´ll have 30 days to activate XP

11. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

...sorry, I didn't mean to say re-install, I meant to say repair, will it erase any data/info. on my hd if I do a repair
    ...would I still need to do a BIOS reset from a repair(don't know how if I do)

Thanks.

12. izzy007

izzy007 Big Geek

ur data wont get erased if u do a repair but if ur computer doesnt even show anything on the screen then u will hav to try a bios reset

13. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

To do a bios reset; do you take out the battery out for 10 min. or more, and then put it back in?
    Just want to make sure.

Thanks.

14. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

yep. easy as pie than doing that jumper reset.

15. blade

blade GEEK 2.0

I was able to change my motherboard without having to get a windows cd afterall!
    For any of you that want to change your motherboard in the future, but don't have a windows cd like I did, just read this article... TweakXP.com - Changing Motherboards

16. roy92

roy92 CSS HAXOR

yipee! have fun with your new mobo!