USB Front Headers on ATX Cases?

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding and Gallery' started by Pawlu, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Pawlu

Pawlu Geek Trainee

Hi I have a ASUS P4P800 SE Mobo fitted into a ATX complaint case, the board supports up to 8 USB 2.0 Devices in total, 4 of them are hard wired such as those you can access from the rear of the case, another 2 are via the USB header extension that came with the Mobo, and finally there was space for an additional 2 USB ports on the board, I connected my cases front USB wiring to the connectors on the board.

The only problem is that all except the two front USB ports work at 2.0 standard, the two front ones only work at the 1.1 standard even though all USB ports should comply with the 2.0 standard. Is this because of the wiring that came with my case? DOes USB2.0 require a certain wiring to be able to work at that speed?

Thanks for your help.

2. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

yea m8 often the usb ports that come with your case are usb 1.1 disregards to your motherboards capabilities. hope this helps Dave :good:

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yeh most cheap cases which have ports at the front are USB 1.1 so you won't be able to take advantage of speed offered by USB 2.0.

4. Pawlu

Pawlu Geek Trainee

Thanks for your help there I tried using a different cable and it working at USB2.0 strange I thought only the controller was responsible for the speed and not the ports on the case!!