Valve and EA Announce Distribution Agreement

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by syngod, Jul 18, 2005.

1. syngod

syngod Moderator

After the stormy end to Valve and VU Games' publishing agreement earlier this year, one of VU's chief rivals has picked up distribution duties for Valve's Half-Life 2 Xbox version and Half-Life 2 Game of the Year PC version, which includes Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Deathmatch, Counter-Strike: Source, and Half-Life: Source. Valve president Gabe Newell had this to say about the agreement:

"By combining EA’s unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve's award-winning development teams and games community, we’ve established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world."

The agreement only pertains to retail boxed versions of Half-Life 2. All copies purchased digitally through Valve's Steam will still be downloaded and updated through the service. The Xbox version of HL2 is expected out in October of this year.

Source: GameSpot

2. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

so EA will start triumphing in FPSs?

oh god...

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'm just waiting to see how Steam makes out with this, if Valve and VU had a fight over content distribution between retail and online using Steam I can only imagine how ugly EA could make it.

4. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

I love Valve...but EA...
    And HL2 on xbox is going to be a joke. Scaled down graphics and FPS won't do the game justice.