Various TV/Digital service questions.

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Exfoliate, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Hey guys, this is probably going to be a very convoluted and confusing thread I'm afraid. My friend (the same one I built the computer for) called me up a bit ago and asked a bunch of stuff about digital services, sharing services, setup boxes etc. But this really isn't my field and I'm relying on you guys to sort of help me out. Hopefully some of his needs make sense.

Firstly, he has one HD TV with a setup box and a monthly plan for satilite as far as I know. What I belive he wants to know is, since he's getting a second TV, can he use the existing setup box and service to recive all or most of those channels on his new TV without having to buy a new box, or plan. If so how is this done? Does he need a router? A second setup box? And he's also wondering, assuming he uses the existing plan and box, can he be watching different channels on one TV, than the other at the same time?

Hope this all makes some sense and you guys can help me out here. Thanks and sorry.

2. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Whats the Set-Top box?, if its the same as Sky HD, then you need a Sky HD set top box to get HD channels, and i presume its the same for all boxes. **Edit**, Ah, your from the US, so you wont get Sky HD :p

Oh, so he wants to receive TV on both TVs?, so i guess he wants to see 2 Channels at once right?, i think he will need a new box.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah dude, he basically wants to use the same service for both TV's somehow. Watching different channels at the same time between the two TV's.
    So you think he'll just need a new box right? Not an extra service plan? Do you know if it's possible to just order a separate box through the provider as a general rule?

4. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I dunno, in the UK with sky, when you have more than 1 box, its called SKY Multiroom i belive, and i think it costs £8 extra a month, so i dont know if its simaler in in the us for your providor, whats the name of the service?

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Yeah that's a bit of an issue, he didn't tell me anything about the service. But I think I'll just let him know that he might need a new box and should probably contact his company.
    Thanks dude, and any more thoughts are always appreciated.