Very slow frame rates

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by bobbyk, Aug 5, 2005.

1. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

Guys,

I downloaded the free version of 3DMark 2005, but when I ran it (all default), I was getting only 4 to 5 frames pers second? I have an MSI KN8 Neo Platinum with the Nvidia Nforce3 (250Gb) chip. I'm just using an ATI 9600 SE, but I don't think it would be this slow! My CPU is an Athlon 64 3200+ - running at 205 FSB - with a 450 W PSU (Arrow) running on Win XP Pro SP2 / 512 MB DDR400.

I'm not an avid gamer, but this frame rate is ridiculous. I ran 3DMark 2001SE and got a score of 7041, though. Is this score acceptable? I downloaded the latest drivers from ATI (with catalyst), but it's still at this rate when I run 3DMark05! Is my system that slow, really, or am I missing something? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

9600SE is a very slow card these days, it's near the bottom of the barrel and I'm not suprised to see this low of frames.

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Don't worry, on default settings that's about as good as you could hope for, I got low fps, like between 5-15 on some tests in 3Dmark2k3 and 2k5 is very demanding. The 9600SE was lacking a bit of punch as ninja alluded to:(

4. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

Thanks for the reply. I still have the option of replacing the video card. What's the best value for money these days? NVidia or ATI, doesn't matter, as long as i get around 30 fps on 3DMark05. :) BY the way, something around 200 USD would be nice. Any suggestions?

5. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I'm sure an AGP version of the 6600GT will give you about 30fps for about $160 or so:)

6. bobbyk

bobbyk Big Geek

Okay, got that. I just hope they have it on stock. Is the 6600GT/256 MB an Nvidia card? What about ATI? And where's the "Thanks" Button anyway? LOL.

BIG THANKS! :good:

7. LeeShore

LeeShore Geek Trainee

What o chief ! I recently purchased a Radeon 9800 pro for under a ton and it smokes ! Half Life 2 no problem ,Brothers in arms no problem ! :good:

8. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

eVGA makes a 6600GT with opengl 2.0. It's around 160 USD like exfoliate said and is a step up from the 9800 pro for peanuts more.

9. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

hey i have overclocked my graphics card (9600 np NOT se) from 324mhz gpu clock to 486mhz, do you think this is acceptable or could it damage my card, i get about 30-60fps on gta san andreas and between 40 and 90 fps on half life 2.

3d mark 05 i get about 4000.

3d mark 01 se i get about 12000-13000.

is all that ok for the 9600np?

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

That's a pretty amazing oc there Will, some of the best scores I've ever seen for that card. If your temps are below 75* keep it:)
    For the price the 6600GT is very good, ATI makes an X700Pro which is just slightly slower and an X800 (non pro) for around $175 without rebates that's much faster than the 6600GT but neither are for AGP:(, the 6800 non-pro is a good bit faster as well and will cost about the same:good:

11. Willz

errm if i remember correctly, the temperature is about 50 degrees, and i would not lie, what so ex, are you saying instead of me buying a new graphics card eg x800xt, your saying i should keep using my current card.

the x700 is well cheap, its under £100

12. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Well I didn't know you wanted to buy a new card but if your doing that well with it (50* is excellent for that kind of oc) don't bother. As you'd need a new motherboard to use an X700 anyway. If you're going to upgrade you might aswell spend at least $200 on a spiffy semi-highend card.

13. Willz

yes, lol i said in lots of places on this forum, i want to get x800xt card, i might just buy hyper psu (£55) x800xt (£205) and new heatsink/ fan for cpu (£20)

but i dont know weather i should go pci-e and get new mobo.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh yeah that was you with Unreal 3 and all that lol:p, sorry. Yes definately go PCI express as otherwise you'll just have to upgrade something else later. There are plenty of PCIe X800 league cards out there.

15. Willz

yea but if i just upgrade my current system psu/x800xt/heatsink/fan (hopefully sort shutting down problem out)/ overclock 3.0ghz pentium 4 to 3.6ghz how long do you think it will last untill i really need to upgrade, lol on medium settings i can play bf2 perfect, prob high aswell, i thought the graphics for that were suposed to be amazing.

16. Willz

i have also upped gpu overclock to 529mhz, i am happy up to 550mhz.

oh no, it will work at those clock settings untill i get into a game, on gta sa it chrashes, so for my graphics card, 500 mhz is the max.

at stock speeds in cj's house i get about 50-60 fps, and at 500mhz i get 60-100 fps, but around in town i get about 20-45 fps, and in the country side i get about 45-64fps.

is there any other settings i could change to get some extra performance in games, any other tweaks and stuff in the latest omega drivers?, anti antialising is a no no no for my card, omg its so bad with it on.

17. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 9600 is pretty impressive for it's price, yeah BF2 doesn't look as good as it's system requirements might imply. I say the screen shots and they range from awesome to old school depending on the settings. But it's like that with Doom 3, HL2, all modern games really, look great on high, like crap on low. A 3.6Ghz Pentium is nothing to sneeze at, that should last you till next summer:) If you really want to save money just get an AGP X800XT, well it's really hard to find a PCIe version anyway so happy trails.

18. Willz

lol it aint hard, takes me bout 5 mins on web.

i get better framerates on very high settings on gta sa than i do on high settings.

i am playing around, lol i dont know what i did with the settings but those adverts on biggining of gta sa skipped u know nvidia ones and rockstar ones, and framerate was about 601, lol but in games was about 90 in cj's house.

the 9600 is way better than my crappy old gf fx 5200, i am glad i bought it, the 9600 had served me well so far.

if i had a 9600xt would i be still getting better framerates in games than i do now with my current clock settings.

19. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

The 9600XT would be very compairable, your oc is so good that's it's about on par:good:
    The problem with GTA is all the settings look the same to me, but I'll inquire in a new thread as we're way off topic:(

20. Willz

new thread??, who is starting it?