VGA to Component - Acer Laptop to Philips LCD

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by philip5660, Jan 18, 2008.

1. philip5660

philip5660 Geek Trainee

Hi,

I have recently bought a philips 32PFL7962 LCD TV. I already owned an Acer Aspire 7520 laptop which is equipped with VGA output.
    I hoped to connect the laptop to the tv using a vga to component cable.

When I connected the two it seems no matter what resolution i selected the tv displays a message telling me the video mode is not supported.

The laptop has the Geforce 7000m graphics card - i'm using a refresh rate of 60Hz and there is no option to set it any lower, and i would like to try that.

i really don't want to have to buy a new DVI output laptop so can anyone help?

ps i mainly intend to use this for windows media centre and playing music

2. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

eeek, no! i suggest buying a vga - dvi converter. here

component video is very poor quality, use HD digital where possible. propper res for a 720p tv is 1280x720 (usually ~60Hz)

3. philip5660

philip5660 Geek Trainee

Component video is excellent quality from the right source (xbox 360 for example)

I would use HD digital if the laptop would output a digital signal (it's only VGA analogue). The adapter you have linked me too on ebay is incorrectly named. It doesn't really do any converting, the signal will still be the same - it just changes the connection to DVI analogue - Converting to DVI digital is a different matter entirely and would require much more sophisticated (expensive) gear.

I'm on the verge of giving up on this one as I think the only solution is a laptop with DVI out!

Thanks for the suggestion anyway!

4. Dwarfer

Dwarfer Guest

I noticed it was the incorrect one its changed now but its DVI-I, not sure of the differences

5. Tech

Tech Padawan

You're correct in what you say about the VGA/DVI converter only being an interface converter and not a signal converter but for the sake of a few quid it seems like a good idea if only to rule out a dodgy VGA port :x:

6. philip5660

philip5660 Geek Trainee

No it wouldn't be any use - All I have is a VGA output - there is nowhere else to plug that adapter in.
    however i have spoken to Philips and it seems the only option is to buy a laptop with DVI output and connect this to the HDMI. I had originally wanted this for media centre use - so might just buy an xbox for it instead

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

ignore Phillips as they are just interested in selling you stuff

the TV probably has a Source / Input selection button on the remote, for selecting what you want the TV to display, try that, & you'll probably find it works

8. philip5660

philip5660 Geek Trainee

yes the tv does have a source/input selection button, what it doesn't have is the ability to interpret a vga signal. Believe me i've been through all the input options. The laptop also does not have the ability to output a component or HDMI signal, therefore I'm stuck until such times as I change the laptop.