Video cards for 400W PSU

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by GER, Oct 7, 2008.

1. GER

GER Geek Trainee

Hi guys I'm new here and this is my first post. I'm need regarding my PSU, here we go:

I was looking to buy a 9800gt, I currently have the GMA950 (i know, it sucks big time), but then I got informed with the issue that it needs a 400w PSU as a minimun. My PSU is 400w but the 12v is quite low its amperage is 12A. here's what it says on the cover ATX 400W P4

+5V=>30 A

+12V=>12 A

-5v=>0.5 A

-12V=>0.8 A

+3.3V=>26 A

5VSB=>2 A

I don't know how many rails there is, can it be known from the above? anyways the question that I'm interested in is what card can I run error-free with this PSU; my system is:

Dual core 3.0Ghz (930 Presler)

2 sticks 512mb 667 ddr2 (thisnking of upgarding to 2 sticks of 1gb)

Intel 945Gz motherboard (gma950 and Realtek audio on board)

LG 20x DVD-RW

120Gb maxtor HHD

2 side fanes 12mm

So what cards can I get for this PSU, i guess there's no way to handle the 9800gt, can it handle the radeon 3850 or 4850? Please note that I don't care about high resolutions for gaming, 1280*600 is more than enough for me considerning my 15" monitor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pimp

Pimp Captain of USS Defiant

I don't think that PSU will have enough juice to power the 9800GT along with a C2D and other stuff in your rig, can't you upgrade the PSU??? a Hiper 580watt costs like £45

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

12A on the +12V? Uhh, no, you don't want to even try to run anything within the past 2-3 years on something like that. Back in 2000, that might've been fine, but not today.

These days, you want something with at least 30A on the +12V if you're running a CPU past the Pentium4/Socket A Athlon era, not to mention a video card that runs off PCIe. AGP might buy a little more room, but even so, that amperage is so little, if you don't want problems, you need to invest in a new PSU.

Here's some brands to check out:

Corsair
    Enermax
    Thermaltake
    Antec
    OCZ
    beQuiet (Europe)
    CoolerMaster
    XClio
    NorthQ (Europe)
    Topower
    PC Power & Cooling

Something at least 450-500W should cover this. A good PSU will not be some light box. It may not weigh a ton, but there needs to be some heft to it. Secondly, you do not want to go with the cheapest option. A PSU quality can somewhat be determined by the price. A cheap unit is more likely to not provide your needs and just use the wattage as a marketing tool. A more expensive unit, combined with heft should be filled with better components for a higher quality signal, not to mention better overall lifespan.

Of course, don't forget to look at the amperages. ;)