Video Wall Using Multi Output Graphic Cards

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by Rishabh, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Rishabh

Rishabh Geek Trainee

I am trying to make a video wall with TVs arranged in 2x2 or 3x3 fashion. For the input to the TVs, I want to use a graphic card with multiple output ports. This card will be installed in a computer's PCIe/PCI slot. Along with that, to give the input to the video wall from any external system for which I thought of installing another graphic card with an HDMI/DP input port. Both graphic card will be connected to each other via Crossfire/SLI. In this arrangement, it will be transferring the display from the HDMI/DP input port to the 4 port output and then to the video wall.

The whole point of this arrangement is to get the screen of an external computer mirrored to the video wall. I know this sounds quite long shot but if it can be done, it will be really helpful. Please share your inputs.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Crossfire/SLI does not increase amount of video outputs.

I recommend MST hub for Displayport to get more output connectors than video card has to offer if necessary.

3. Rishabh

Rishabh Geek Trainee

I am trying to achieve the multiple video outputs with the multi-output graphic card like AMD ATI FirePro 2460.

To give the input from any second computer, I thought of adding another graphic card with HDMI input port. Then putting both cards into CrossFire/SLI to send the input captured from the HDMI input of the card to the multi-output card so that it might send it to the array of displays.

My question here is, whether the interconnection of cards via Crossfire/SLI will solve my purpose or I need other set of hardware?

4. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

For SLI/Crossfire you'll need graphic card of "almost same type". Imo not many professional cards do not support either SLI or Crossfire. While your arrangement might work, SLI/Crossfire does not help here.

You perhaps can put card with HDMI input and then use another card to send signal to displays, but I have no specific knowledge about that kind of arrangement.