Vista Reboot problems

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by hillier291, Mar 1, 2008.

1. hillier291

hillier291 Geek Trainee

Hey

I recently bought a copy of windows vista home premium 64bit and installed it on my computer. At first it ran fine then yesterday it stopped working and every time it gets to the log in screen it reboots the system. I have tried booting it in Safe Mode, Normal Mode and The last known working settings and they all do the same thing.

I would be really grateful if somebody could shed some light on my situation.

Jamie

2. AJAI

AJAI Geek Trainee

Please format your HDD and re-install your OS. You have not mentioned about your hardware configuration. If the problem stays even after reinstallation, check your memory for a capacity of 512MB and also check the power rating of your SMPS.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

What are the specks of your computer..Vista really needs 1gig of memory.
    1924mb...Or it just won't run right..And your system is 64 bit,not 32 bit right.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hi Jamie, welcome to HWF. Based on your symptoms, I'd say it sounds like either you've picked up some malware, or your OS could be corrupted. In either case a complete reinstall wouldn't be a bad idea.

You have to be extremely careful when running Windows, since it's a very fragile OS. It's prone to getting viruses, spyware and other malware quite easily. Additionally, an interesting thing to note is that spyware intended for XP or earlier can cause Vista to crash entirely, much like what you're experiencing. I recommend that after you get your system running again, if you're going to continue using Windows you should get a good antivirus (not Macafee or Norton/Symantec) and also some anti-spyware tools such as Spybot S&D, Ad-Aware, and Spyware Blaster. Even those will not protect you entirely, but they'll at least help.