Vista requirements revealed

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, May 19, 2006.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Well its not good, not good for the people with average computers that is. Microsoft revealed the minimum system requirements for Vista, and have two different levels of requirements. One is for the basic system, without the Aero GUI and the other is with it. Does anyone remember how 512mb was enough to do anything a few years ago?

Vista will be the biggest piece of bloatware Microsoft's ever produced. By god I feel sorry for the poor people who are going to be raped by salespeople telling them they need a 2GB, Geforce 7 series, AMD X2 workhorse to run the "latest" technology. (Well its not quite that bad, but its still hefty)

A Windows Vista Capable PC includes at least:

* A modern processor (at least 800MHz1).
    * 512 MB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that is DirectX 9 capable.

A Windows Vista Premium Ready PC includes at least:

* 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor1.
    * 1 GB of system memory.
    * A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2.
    * 128 MB of graphics memory.
    * 40 GB of hard drive capacity with 15 GB free space.
    * DVD-ROM Drive3.
    * Audio output capability.
    * Internet access capability.

Windows Vista: Get Ready

2. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

*Get's very angry....prepares a rant* :x:

Wasteful. How :swear: wasteful. Linux can do all the things that Vista can do and can run on a Pentium 2 with 128MB RAM......

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

This is Winblows for ya - bloated, sluggish and you need to lay down lots of hard cold cash to pay for it. This sucks.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Crazy...I only want it because it looks sexy, but ouch...as you rightfully said a lot of people are gonna get screwed over into buying new systems.

5. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yikes...poor people with sucky systems

6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Look on the bright side, if Dell and other company's that make cheapo PC's intend to use Vista they'll have to have some half decent specs now. There's no getting around Vista I'm afraid. It's the only way we'll be seeing DX 10 games anytime soon and perhaps it's not as bloated as we all imagine...well you never know.

7. Mack

Mack Big Geek

is vista 32bit only or 64 bit only,..
    In either case i will wait till MS releases it SP1 for Vista,..
    the price would have come down by then and lot of bugs fixed,..

Or atleast I hope so,...

8. Addis

Addis The King

Thats why I use OpenGL when I can.

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

well looks like i'll be another none windows user then, cos i'd have to win lottery to afford that spec, looks like Xandros has just become my best pal, thankx ;) i think

10. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

I wouldn't remember but was it like this when XP came out? As in everyone angry about requirements and whatnot. Probably, it's something we'll all get though. I wouldn't buy it right off most likely but I'd like to preview it for the rest of you if I could.

11. Addis

Addis The King

XP wasn't close to this excessive. While it did increase the requirements, you could still run it on 128mb RAM, and no special graphics card was needed.

12. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

If Vista only has the Aero theme going for it, it's going to flop big time.
    One other thing to note, is where it says 'A graphics processor that runs Windows Aero2', really means any recent 128MB card with atleast 1800MB/s
    memory bandwidth.

13. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

I believe Microsoft must have a stratigy behind this. As Exfoliate said, there is a possiblity of decreasing the rate for the Hardwares.
    Technology is growing very fast, I believe it will not be very difficult for us to buy a 128MB of graphics card because when before WinXP was released, graphics cards were very expensive and rare. Possibilities of adding RAM was low too! but if you look at a todays system, you can go upto 4GB of RAM on nearly all the latest coputers or may be more I think.
    Microsoft will start shipping Win Vista with company's PC like Dell, HP etc... very cheap.
    There might be many more things which we might never know.....they have spend billions on just making VISTA.....I dont think so that they are fool!....

14. syngod

syngod Moderator

Just remember this time they also had to give into the MPAA in order to get the VC-1 codec as part of the HD-DVD/BluRay spec, so I'm sure quite a bit of the new requirements will be for running DRM.

I thought for sure the thing people would freak out the most is if you want to watch any of the upcoming movie formats on your pc you're going to be required to buy a graphics card and monitor with an HDMI input and HDCP.

15. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

[ot]
    What are you on about?
    They still are expensive in some cases and they certainly were not rare.[/ot]

16. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

[ot]
    Just compare with the number of people who owns graphics card today and graphics card in 2001. Just think how much wast the cost of a 128MB of graphics card at that time and now.
    [/ot]

17. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah but then the same thing would be said about new Extreme 512MB cards in 5 years time. Technology progresses and what was once 'top-of-the-line' soon becomes a standard as new things are brought out and prices drop.