VMware Server for FREE!!

Discussion in 'General Software' started by megamaced, Jul 14, 2006.

1. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Begin enjoying the benefits of server virtualization with the free VMware Server. VMware Server installs on any existing server hardware and partitions a physical server into multiple virtual machines by abstracting processor, memory, storage and networking resources, giving you greater hardware utilization and flexibility. Streamline software development and testing and simplify server provisioning as you utilize the ability to "build once, deploy many times."

Looks like the virtualisation wars are starting to heat up :)

Just when I thought things couldn't get any better, what with the free release of MS Virtual PC. The good thing about VMware is that it runs on Linux! This makes it possible to run Windows inside a Linux environment!

For more information and free download, click here

2. zeus

zeus out of date

thats a good thing!
    Ive never tried wine but ive heard it doesnt work with all windows programs.

Ive got a feeling I heard something about MS on the news the other day. Im sure it said something about them getting fined everyday or summit cos they wont release code. I suppose this is an attempt to make people happier.

3. megamaced

Not really, because VMware is not a Microsoft product :)

..... And Micrsoft Virtual PC 2004 only runs on Windows (and Mac as well, but it's not free)

4. Addis

Addis The King

The fine is about the anti-trust case with the EU.

Nice... *goes to download.*

Edit: megamaced can you find the download link? I accept the EULA but just get a search box.

5. megamaced

WOW, this is AWESOME software :)

Much, much better then MS Virtual PC (Linux is a virtual option, unlike in VP). Also, VMware allows you to manage which hardware gets installed, including USB hardware. So unlike in Virtual PC, it means I can use my Saitek USB Joypad in the virtual OS.

Installation was a bit long winded, but probably could have been easier if I was using an RPM based distro. I could have used Alien I suppose, but I didn't want to risk it, what with VMware being such a big installation.

I downloaded the tar achive and installed it via the terminal. The installer asks question after quesion which can get a bit annoying. Then it told me that something or other wasn't compatible with my running kernel, and asked if I would like to compile it. So I had to download my kernel headers first, then point the installer to the kernel source (which was fun....). Anyways, it compiled OK and now it works.

Anyway, whether you use Linux or Windows, you should DOWNLOAD THIS!!

Addis, I just tried the link myself and i get the same page :confused: That's bizarre because it was working this morning!

I'll have a look around for another download link

6. megamaced

Addis, i've just tried that same link again and it worked (in Konqueror).

7. Addis

Addis The King

I'll try again.

This would let me use Linux in Windows on my laptop with internet. Great.

Edit: That was strange, I've been using Opera and when switched to Firefox to view that page it worked.

8. megamaced

Oh yes :)

Exactly, I was using Opera and it didn't work for me either. I switched to Konqueror and I got through to the download link :confused:

Once again, I feel I must repeat myself.... THIS IS GREAT :swear: SOFTWARE!!

Attached a picture of VMware running a virtual session of Windows 2000. The host machine is Kubuntu Linux

Attached Files:

9. megamaced

Another cool feature of VMware is the ability to mount ISO files as if they were an actual CD-ROM.

The benefits?

You can run a Linux LiveCD straight from the ISO file, without having to burn it to a CD. You can also install Linux straight from the ISO file.

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

There is a question appeared in my mind suddenly, how much memory does it require to run?

11. megamaced

Well that question depends on which Operating System is being used, virtually.

To run Windows 9x virtually, you'd need at least 64MB of available RAM.

Windows NT = 64MB - 128MB
    Windows 2k = 128MB - 256MB
    Windows XP = 192MB - 512MB

I've got 768MB of RAM in my Kubuntu machine, which is more then enough to run Windows 2K virtually.

12. Karanislove

How about Linux?

13. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

Like mega said before, it all depends on which distribution you wish to choose from. More bloated distro's such as SuSe will require more then say DSL(Damn Small Linux). 256-512MB available RAM should be more then sufficient to emulate most linux distro's.

14. Karanislove

I have total of 512MB of RAM but not sharable with Graphics Card and I am running XPH SP2 on my PC.
    Will Ubuntu work easily?

15. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

More then likely, yes.

16. Karanislove

[ot]
    Thats cool, now I will delete the separate Linux partition from my PC and put it inside the XP. Thanks STIMPE
    [/ot]

17. megamaced

You could probably get away with running ubuntu on top of XP with 512MB of RAM. The end result might be a little slow, depending on how many background processes are running under XP.

I've run Windows 98 on top of XP with only 384MB of RAM, so you should be OK.

I still can't get enough of this program, it's so invaluable to my MCSE studies. Before VMware, I only had one computer running Windows. Now that I can emulate Windows on my other computer, I am able to set up Server 2003 and connect to it with several Windows hosts :)

18. Karanislove

Can you connect both the windows from the same computer with your server?

Yesterday, when I install the VMware, I figured out that it only works with XPP and 2000............. :(

19. megamaced

Yes.

Only NT, 2000 and XP Professional are able to join a Windows Server Domain.

Windows 9x and XP Home Edition can only join a Workgroup

20. megamaced

NewsForge have just published a review of VMware Server 1.0

They love it, too :)