Want advice on a build

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by wompshmack, Feb 14, 2007.

1. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Ok, so heres the situation, I'm building my gf an extremely budget computer to run Sims 2 on. I've never played the game, and I'm personaly offended by it(just had to throw that in). So first, here's the relevant parts of the build.

Mobo:BIOSTAR GEFORCE 6100-M9 Socket 939

Ram:1 gig o' corsair ddr400

Proc:Athlon64 3400+

Now the mobo is what I'm worried about. The geforce 6100 northbridge, I've heard, is essentialy an NF4, but designed for onboard video. So, I'm just gonna try and run it on onboard video, I assume that should be enough to run sims 2, but if it isnt, or I later decide to upgrade this system, once I have the onboard video disabled, can I expect NF4 style performance on the PCIE?
    Am I just wasting money on this mobo? I mean, I do want a cheap system, but am I really making a long term sacrifice by getting onboard video?

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

Welcome to hardwareforums wompshmack! :beer:

1GB of Ram and a AMD64 3200+ will kick the :swear: out of the sims, but you might want to consider a better graphics card (onboard means nasty, its normally only included so they can say it has *this*)

Mobo Sheet:Biostar Group

It really depends on how much your paying for it, it does look allright though (remember it has a PCI-x16 so you can upgrade the graphics at a later date)

3. wompshmack

wompshmack Geek

Well, I could come up with another geforce 7300, just pull one from my SLI cause I am NOT using this rig for gaming nearly as much as I should. But I just dont think sims2 should take that much.

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

well i think you have your answer then...

build the system you mentioned above, if the sims runs choppy then try it with one of your graphics cards... if that works then all is good, you can get another one or just use one of your current cards.

the sims really shouldn't need alot, its not like there running around murdering each other in those houses! you could probably get a £30 that would do it.

5. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

Well the Sims 2 seems to be alot more demanding with graphics than the Sims was.

6. Themoho94

Themoho94 Geek Trainee

i played sims2 on my old pc and acoording to the spics your buying it well work fine