Warning: AMD Rev E not compatible with some motherboards

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Problems appear to be affecting Athlon 64 revision E chips on some Nforce 3 and Nforce 4 motherboards. Symptoms include motherboard shut down and failure to boot, according to reports here from CeBIT.

Revision E chips from AMD are just released and brings stuff like SSE3 support inside a 90 nanometre die. AMD on the other hand didn't make a big noise about its announcement.

We learned that if you have this Athlon and already have Nforce 3 or Nforce 4 board that there is a big chance that you may encounter problems. We are told that AMD changed its thermal regulation protection and that's what makes it incompatible with at least some of the Nforce 3 and Nforce 4 boards out there.

In order to solve these problems, new motherboards might be necessary and there doesn't appear to be an instant fix.

The Inq

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've been hearing that, but I'd like to see a second more reliable source than the Inq, just because they are a geek tabloid to some extent. Hopefully it's not true, but we don't know for sure. I know I'll be keeping my ears turned up for any info.