Watercooling...

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Big B, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm starting to assemble the parts I need.

So far I've got a GM/import heater core to act as a radiator that I've paid for and will pick up tomorrow.

The other stuff I plan to pick up within the next few months (at the latest hopefully) are:

-Swiftech MCW5000A waterblock
    -Pump/resivoir combo from Xoxide
    -10-12' of Tygon 1/2" tubing

And yes, there will be some sort of article on this.

Why am I doing this? Well, it's to the point that air cooling isn't giving me the temps I need to do much of any kind of overclocking, which I pointed out in the Gigabyte GA7VAXP Ultra review.
    Due to the fact that the board doesn't have the 4 now optional mounting holes around the CPU socket, I had like 2 choices for waterblocks. The Swiftech, while a bit expensive, is also pretty versatile on the CPU's it works with.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Changed some stuff around and this is what came in yesterday:

-Swiftech MCW5000A waterblock
    -Hydor L20 AC pump
    -20' Tygon 3/8" inner diameter|1/2" outer diameter tubing

Had to pick up some fittings from Lowes and Home Depot to get the stuff right. I just need to add the water and start testing this baby!

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

sounds cool Big B, does watercooling bring the temps down alot? also how about noise?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I'm still testing it outside the PC to check for leaks---which I do have, but they should be easy to fix.

5. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Leaks...that's why I will never get a watercooling setup. I'm just too nervous.

never may be too strong of a word though ;)

Sniper: I've never experienced it but great air cooling can cool better than average to mediocre watercooling, or at least be on par with it. Then again, great air cooling comes with noise.

IMO, noise should be the first reason why you'd move to a watercooled system, because if you're looking for great temps(40C under full load is great to me), you're gonna have to hand down the money !

But besides all of those practical reasons, having a watercooled system is quite....nice ;)

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. Looks like I need to hit the hardware store again. The fittings on the pump just aren't doing it for me.

7. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

howz it all gone Big B? got it working?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Still leak testing. I've almost got it.