wavy lines on screen problem

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by DanielGent, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

got a problem where someones got a new LCD monitor and plugging it into their PC, theres vertical wavy lines (distortions). most noticeable on colour pictures. really makes the PC unuseable.
    I can't remember what brand the monitor is, its at the budget end though. Only supports analogue in (and the cable is built into the monitor). The PC is a dell dimension 2400.

Tests I've done to try and fix it.
    - plug monitor into another computer: I plugged it into a laptop and it works fine, even plugged into the same power socket (using same cables).
    - tried a load of different refresh rates and different resolutions
    - switched VGA card. only has PCI slots so I put a PCI card in, still wavy.

My next idea is to take another power pack wrong, could it be an interference problem stemming from that?
    previously there was a CRT monitor plugged into this PC. Is it worth plugging another LCD in?

Any help or suggestions or even vague hitches would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading,
    Dan Gent

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

how come you don't try it with the onboard graphics? could be a problem with the systems PCI controller.

3. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

Badly explained post on my behalf there sorry. when using the onboard graphics I got wavy lines on the monitor, so I put in an old PCI graphics card I had, still got wavy lines.
    Do you think it could be the PSU? Or some interference with the computer from somewhere?

4. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

What is your power supply brand and wattage?

5. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

6. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

No, it shouldn't be the power supply. Is the add-in card inserted into the slot while you are trying the onboard video?

Also get a can of compressed air, and clean out the motherboard, video card and everything else.

Also when you say wavy lines, can you take a screen of it?

By any chance are you using a VGA-DVI or vice versa adapter?

7. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

could well be interference. have you got another spare LCD to try?

8. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

Its not the LCD he tried it in a different computer and it worked fine

9. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

yes, on another forum they didnt read my post and started telling me the LCD was at fault, but if i tried it on a laptop WHILE the monitor was still plugged into the same power socket, it cant be that can it?

I'm going to go round again to this house soon with a replacement power pack. if that doesnt work i'm going to move the computer to a different floor, if that doesnt work.......maybe advise not to use an LCD monitor :rolleyes:

10. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

replying to your post Connor,
    no the PCI card wasnt in the slot while trying the onboard video, I brought the PCI card round at a later date.
    I've got some compressed air so I could try that. Its not a particulary dusty PC but you never know.....
    No DVI-VGA adaptors or anything of the like. Its only a cheap monitor so the cable is hardwired into the monitor end so I can't switch it with a known working one! (or even a shorter one to reduce interference), very annoying.

Is there no chance it could be the power supply? the computer should only be recieveing DC power from the power supply but maybe its a bit faulty and is giving out electromagnetic intereference at about 60hz?
    thats a wild guess....but I'm stuck for answers!!
    maybe i should try plugging the laptop into the monitor next to the PC while its turned on.

i couldnt take a screenshot because the problems with the monitor, right?
    i could try taking a picture but it wouldnt pick it up to well i dont think. imagine the screen was water and there were very gentle waves moving upwards, probly takes about 1-3 seconds to travel up the screen, distoring the image as it goes

11. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

Have you tried changing the refresh rate/resolution?

12. DanielGent

DanielGent Geek Trainee

"tried a load of different refresh rates and different resolutions" - YES!

I'm going to take round another PSU. It must be that

13. connor53

connor53 Geek Trainee

I am not to sure, if you are getting a new PSU I would say get this-

Newegg.com - PC Power & Cooling Silencer PPCS420X 420W ATX12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Power Supplies

It will work great in place of that P.O.S Dell OEM one.
    Also if its not the PSU then, it has to be the monitor. Also the PSU would be a great upgrade regardless of it being the problem or not.