WD SATA 500GB HDD Failure

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Bryan Loh, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Bryan Loh

Bryan Loh Geek Trainee

My Windows 7 failed to boot one fine day and therefore I had to boot using windows cd and perform recovery process.

However, the recovery was not succesfull as it kept hanging and nothing happens. I kept trying and the same thing happened.

Left without a choice, I went to purchase a new HDD and installed windows in it as my new operating system.

Now comes the most important part, I have to recover all my important data from the failed HDD. Hence, I connected the HDD to my pc via USB (as external HDD) and Disk Management showed that HDD as UNALLOCATED DISK SPACE.

After doing much research, I used TESTDISK to recover the lost partitions and voila, everything came back and all the files and folders were visible and accessible again.

Well, without hesitating I started copying the files to another HDD, but the transfer speed was really slow. I left it to run and came back 2 hours later, but I found out that file transfer was interrupted halfway due to some file error.

I proceeded to cancel the process and the computer hung, so I had to force shut down the PC.

However, after rebooting windows, the partitions were not able to be accessed anymore. Althought My Computer detected the partitions, and even showed their volume drive, it failed to read the partitions. Even if I clicked on the partitions, MY COMPUTER will just freeze for a long time. Several times I was told that "incorrect parameter". I've attached a photo so that you guys will have a brief idea of what I am talking about.

I've tried numerous ways to recover my files back or even to just access the partitions - Ubundu USB Boot, TESTDISK, Photorec, getdataback, but nothing worked and my system just hang whenever I try to access the partitions.

Is there anything I can do? Or am I doomed? I really hope someone here can help me!,!

I believe I still have some hope as I can still see the logical drives everytime I plug in the HDD. It's just that they can't be accessed!

PS: I am currently running HDD Regenerator. So far this is the only tool that is working and able to scan the HDD. After 2 hours of running, it is only 3%.

Attached Files:

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Are both hard drives IDE ? You should of just piggy back the drive from a host computer, then just copy your files and photos to either dvd or usb stick..

3. Bryan Loh

Bryan Loh Geek Trainee

How can i check whether they are IDE?

and also what do u mean by piggy back the drive from a host comp?

Apologies for my weak tech knowledge.

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

First of all is this a Desktop or a laptop ??? If it is a desktop, open the case and look at your hard drive cable, Does it look like a ribbon or is it a small red cable ??
    Piggy back from a host computer, If you have IDE cable, you can set your damage hard drive to slave, Then you can get all your info off it from the host computer..

5. Jan Benedict

Jan Benedict Geek

Piggy back- You said you connect the failed HDD to the pc via as an external HDD, why not try and connect the failed HDD to a laptop or another computer that is working fine then copy the important files you want.
    It might just be some cable management in your computer that needs to be more neatly done, some wires clogging up inside.
    What's your PSU?