Web Restriction Software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by ProcalX, May 28, 2004.

1. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

hi, i need some software that will allow me to restrict computers on my network to only sites i specify: ie:

so i can configure 1 laptop:
    so that the only websites it can view on the internet are:

www.x1.com
    www.x2.com
    www.x3.co.uk

(ie the internet works fine, runs perfectly but it will block access to any other sites)

is there any software like this available, i realise there are firewalls around that have web filtering in, but i need something that will only let the user view the websites that i have specified as an administrator.

tom

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Your solution is pretty simple. This can even be accomplished without any 3rd party software. You could user your web browser's built-in proxy feature to use a fictional proxy to bounce all HTTP requests, except for your 3 sites. You put them in the "exceptions" list, which bypasses the proxy settings. So basically, for all websites but your 3, the browser will try to connect to a proxy server which doesn't exist and will fail. For the 3 you entered in the "Bypass Proxy" list, they'll work without a hitch.

P.S. - You'll probably want to prevent end users from being able to change their own browser settings after this as well. Here's a link to the registry keys you'll need to add in order to enforce your new settings.

3. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

thanks, works great, i'm using windefender encryption so they can't use the menu's needed anyway.

thanks

4. Anti-Trend

My pleasure. :good:

5. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

right just to add, how do i do it in windows :\ ie: Internet Explorer?

sorry lol

6. Anti-Trend

To Use IE Proxy Settings to Filter Internet Access:

Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet Options --> Connections --> LAN Settings --> Check: "Use a proxy server for your LAN" --> Check: Advanced --> Add: 127.0.0.1 (local loopback address) under the "HTTP" section --> Add: Port= 85 (or other non-used port) --> Check: "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" --> Add allowed websites to the "Do not use proxy server for addresses beginning with:" section. In other words, "AllowedSite1.com; AllowedSite2.org; AllowedSite3.co.uk" --> OK!

Now the allowed sites you've entered, "AllowedSite1.com; AllowedSite2.org; AllowedSite3.co.uk", are the only ones allowed through I.E. All other sites are bounced by default, because they try and connect through a proxy which does not exist. Keep in mind that this is not a silver-bullet solution, as this quazi-filter can be bypassed by simply installing a new browser, such as netscape or mozilla. :( Even through a normal "User" account, a user can install these browsers because it requires no registry manipulation...

7. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

na thats great, the windows user accounts the laptops have limit to installing anything that writes to the registry.

8. Anti-Trend

In any case, 99.9% of users wouldn't be savvy enough to know this. You can also make certain that this cannot happen by limiting the user's write access to only the user's profile in "Documents and Settings". Probably a good idea anyway.