Weird Vista issue

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by athomas, May 30, 2009.

1. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

I'm using Radmin to connect to a laptop running Vista Ultimate. Seems like every now and again the laptop crashes, the video drivers seem to just take a s***, and crash the laptop. Not sure why this is. Drivers are up to date, according to Gateway (can't get the nVidia drivers) so maybe I'm just screwed.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Yeah, maybe. Windows doesn't exactly have a reputation for stability, after all. In your situation I'd try updating all the drivers system-wide, doing a malware sweep, and fully-patching the system to current. Might also be a good idea to run a few passes on http://www.memtest.org/.

If all else fails, you might want to examine the temperature as before/during a crash. It could just be overheating.

3. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee

Lol @ the stability comment.

Anyhow, everything's up to date, and clean (memory is fine, brand new)... aside from the video drivers being probably outdated. Not sure why the nVidia installer says to contact Gateway.

Stupid proprietary drivers... Gateway site only has drivers from 2007 for that laptop. It's the GeForce Go 6100 card.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Well, you could try Linux on it and see if the stability issues still occur over there. There are some links in my sig:

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Last time I did a remote desktop from work to my home PC everything went fine but when I got home i found the fan on my brand new gtx 295 had stopped leaving both gpu's at 120c (usually 50 ish). It came straight back on after a restart with luckily no damage.

Left me wondering if something strange happens with nvidia drivers and the power management settings in vista was happening at a remote desktop connection. (it has now left me terrified of it happening again so whenever i remote desktop I also issue a power off command just in case those temps are on the up again)

6. athomas

athomas Geek Trainee