Western Digital to squeeze 3TB onto a Hard Drive

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Matt555, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Western Digital have been been working on a 3.5" drive with a capacity of 3TB, the drive exists in prototype form.

Hot on the heels of Hitachi's 4TB-on-a-hard drive claim that will kick in by 2011, Western Digital has been doing some data-squeezing of its own. The company is talking of the "industry's highest demonstrated density" at 520 GB per square inch.

So, in other words, a single prototype exists which had its debut at - wait for it - the Perpendicular Magnetic Recording Conference in Tokyo this week, though there was an earlier demonstration in California.
    3TB by 2010

So what does that amount of data density actually translate to? WD reckons that within a 3.5-inch hard drive storing 640 GB-per-platter single hard drives could reach 3TB and be "available in the 2010 timeframe".

Read more...

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

a few years ago (about 12 -15) i remember being delighted by paying about £170 for a 1 Gb HDD, what is the world coming to ?

BTW keeping things PATA, you can now buy a 750Gb HDD for just over £140 (& it's a proper Seagate), here[ot]i give in[/ot]BTW: i also remember buying a 486DX 2 66 CPU soon after it was released, & i thought i was good by having it :doh:

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I can remember well that 320mb hdd was big, I miss those days.... urm maybe not actually :chk:

4. Addis

Addis The King

The Perpendicular Magnetic Recording conference? Those guys sure know how to live it up!

5. rimmer

rimmer Geek

bloody hell, 500GB alone is hard to fill. Maybe games and that are going to take up more, scene as High Definition is kicking in, and fibre optic internet, meaning larger files...

A typical game now, takes up about 4-7GB, 10 years ago, 500MB was HUUUGE for a game.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

yeah, all honesty, i don't think i really want anything more than 1tb of anything on one HDD, thats a lot of information to loose all at once. That said, every one is making all these advances in storage capacity, but no one is making any real headway in HDD speeds.