What 8800 to get

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by cloud17, Dec 31, 2007.

1. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

i am going to upgrade my graphics card because i am fed up with my x1950 as it overheats etc sooooo. i need some advice. i have been looking at cards in the price range of 200 - 250. i have been confused with the differnce between gt and gts and if its worth the bit more for a gtx. thanks.

2. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

In my opinion yes, the GTX is the only way to go rate now if your really want to get your money out of your graphics card, and get good performance, seriously. Although, i have heard some pretty decent things about the GTs, as they are suppose to be better than any of the GTS models, but i'm not really sure as to how much better.

3. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

ok i think i have decided going for a gtx. are there any brands that are worth avoiding or any that really seem good.

i have seen a gtx made by overclockers
    OcUK GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - OEM
    this seems to be a great price and the reviews seem good.
    is this one worth getting? and do you know anything about overclockers i have heard some negative comments about them giving second hand items and bad customer service.

or
    ASUS NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB GDDR3 DVI HDCP HDTV out PCI-E Graphics Card - Ebuyer
    would a known brand like this be a safer buy?

thanks in advance

4. devnull

devnull Geek Trainee

I'd get an 8800gt, its within you're price range. You can buy another one later for SLI.

5. cloud17

cloud17 Geek Trainee

hmm im not sure because that means saving for another £200 investment whereas if i pay that bit more for a higher preforming card which the overclockers on is only £250 anyway i wont have to. plus i dont have an sli mobo so that would cost me another 100-150 that i dont have.

6. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

I never heard of overclockers, but that doesn't mean they are bad. I Recommend EVGA, they are great, but others i like are XFX, BFG, and Asus and Gigabyte aren't bad ether. If you feel ok with the overclockers brand, then just do some research, look around a good bit and make sure your not going to put yourself into a bad situation.