What Kind Of Desktop Configuration Is Suitable For Software Development Use

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Priyabrata Chakraverti, Dec 24, 2014.

?

What should I choose ?

1. i5

50.0%
  2. i7

50.0%
  1. Priyabrata Chakraverti

Priyabrata Chakraverti Geek Trainee

First of all, I know that is question is really vague, and doesn't really have an answer per se. If I am in the wrong place for this type of question, do excuse me for that. So, what I want is more of a suggestion, than definite answer.

I work as a software developer, mainly working with android(Eclipse-ADT), web-development(PhpStorm, Webstorm, DreamWeaver) and windows applications development(Using VS). So, for testing purpose, I need to run lot of VMs (VMWare, Virtual Box) and emulators(for android).

At present I am working in a i3 2.10 GHz laptop with 6 GB of RAM and 1 GB of dedicated Graphics memory(nVidia).

I am looking to build a desktop solely to fit my development needs as I am facing very frequent slowdowns in the laptop while working.

I've gone through the details of the Core i5 and Core i7 processors and I know their tech specs and what I am concerned with is, do I need i7 or is i5 sufficient for what I do.

Given, i5 doesn't support Hyper Threading and have 4(four) physical cores and 6 MB of cache, and i7 with Hyper Threading and 8mb of cache and 4 physical cores, the difference boils down to the 2 MB of cache and HT.

I know that 2 mb of cache is a HUGE difference.

Question is, how much difference in performance created by the presence and absence of HT technology with respect to the applications I run for my daily development work ?

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The impression I have is that generally HT can help so long as you don't have more VM's running than HT threads available. With an i7, you wouldn't want anything beyond 4 VM's running. If 4 VM's isn't enough, you'll need to move to an LGA2011 socket for those i7's or even a Xeon chip for more cores and HT threads. Depends on how intensive it is and what you can afford.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

A Desktop is Way better for you and you will have allot more control over the way it runs, The i7 does run hotter than the i5, but this will come down to your case and how many fans you will need.. Heat can play a big Problem on ANY computer/laptop ..

4. Priyabrata Chakraverti

I am not looking to go beyond i7. I usually run about 4-5 VMs at a time, and the IDEs alongside them while I am working. So what would be my best bet ? i5 or i7 ?

5. Priyabrata Chakraverti

So, given the usage scenario which I've provided, what should I go for ? i5 or i7 ?

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

i5 and i7 are real close, But my choice would be i5...

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depending on your budget, you could shave off a little money and start with an i5, which would be a boost from what you have and then move to an i7 later when you could afford one. So long as you're staying in the LGA1150 zone, the i7 4790 will be the top option. There is a 4790K that costs a few dollars more, but is only worth it if you intend to overclock using the unlocked multiplier. Based on the more professional usage, this is discouraged for stability reasons.
    Having said that, the gap between the 4790 and i7 4770 is marginal, unlike the cost, so that might be a better overall value.

8. Priyabrata Chakraverti

Could you elaborate on the reason for choosing i5 over i7 ?

9. Priyabrata Chakraverti

Thanx for the reply mate. I am not looking to over-clock under any circumstance and given my usage, I really don't think I need to over-clock.

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Good. For best results, you'll want to pair your choice with a Z97 chipset-based motherboard. I believe it supports up to 32GB or RAM. With your needs, I wouldn't start at anything below 8GB, but certainly consider 16GB.

11. Priyabrata Chakraverti

Yeah, I am looking to push in 8 GB of ram, might as well go for 16 GB, but i7 is too damn costly. I have to make a compromise somewhere.

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

HEAT....I really don't think you will notice Any difference between the two of them, just that one will run allot hotter.. (i7)

13. Priyabrata Chakraverti

So you are recommending i5 over i7. Another tie :p

14. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Again, you can always move to an i7 later if cost is an option. Another thing is, the current crop of Intel CPUs are all Haswell-based. The successor, Broadwell, will have a desktop option for the LGA1150 socket and that is supported by the Z97 chipset. I would focus on laying a solid hardware base and moving from there, mostly the motherboard and power supply. Asus, MSI, Gigabyte are solid picks for motherboards and all have a wide selection.
    For power supplies, Seasonic is the number one option, but Antec may be more widely available. If you're not sure, just ask, but DO NOT try and save money by purchasing a case with a power supply included. A low-end quality PSU runs around $50 USD, and cases with power supplies tend to be cheap with all sorts of corners cut to save money.

It might be a good idea to look at what dollar amount you have to work with and if you need just the box or things such as a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. Do you need a copy of Windows? Just something to thing about.

15. Priyabrata Chakraverti

I've taken an estimate, and selected a Corsair 650W PSU. I do not need a copy of windows. I would prefer an Intel Original Board because of the after sales service that they provide and their service is really good unlike the others in my city.
    So how's my selection of PSU and mobo ?

16. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

4-5 VM at same time with quad core CPU? I'll put it like this:

VM1 takes CPU core 1
    VM2 takes CPU core 2
    VM3 takes CPU core 3
    VM4 takes CPU core 4
    VM5 takes CPU core, what CPU core?

You ran out of cores while giving just one single CPU core to single VM. And you still need cores to work. So forget all quad cores (i5 and i7).

For virtual machine use AMD processors are way better and for that kind of task FX-8350 is much better than any i7 (quads). With octa core CPU, you can easilly run 5 VM's same time and you still have cores to do something else.

If still sticking with i7, Xeon 1231 offers even better value.

Upgrade is basically worthless. Broadwell will probably be 5-10% faster than Haswell and not any cheaper. And Intel will probably put some crap between CPU and heatspreader just like on Haswells. Upgrading Intel quad core went like this:

Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge: No good
    Sandy Bridge to Haswell: No good
    Ivy Bridge to Haswell: No good
    Haswell to Broadwell: Check above?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The RM line Corsair has out is okay, if that's the one linked. They're not bottom barrel, but they are a step down from previous lines. If you have it, fine, but if not, their HX or TX series performs better. Otherwise, look for Seasonic if available.
    Wicked did bring up an excellent point with the AMD FX 8000 series CPUs, and he's right that it does serve your needs better. The 970/990 chipsets are older, but it's very easy to find an AM3+ motherboard running one of them.

You mentioned that CPU cache benefits your work. The AMD FX 8570 offers 16MB with the 8 cores for $199 USD. By comparison, the [/URL] i7 4770 offers 8MB of cache, not to mention 4 physical cores for $314. Not a huge difference, but if it's not benefitting your work, why pay?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  18. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

FX-8370 is has 0.1 GHz more turbo clock than FX-8350 and costs more. So it's either FX-8350 or even cheaper FX-8320.